Aberystwyth circular route.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
As per title , I'm in that area on business next month, but thought I might take the bike up on the train and extend my stay by 24hrs or so.
From lunchtime to lunchtime .

So something like a 70 mile loop with a potential wild camp spot roughly half way??

Any ideas ??

Tia

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
@theclaud knows that neck of the woods.

https://cycle.travel/map has a a handy "suggest a ride" feature.
Just put in your starting point, give it an indication of distance and it will throw up a few suggestions.
Hint 1; Try slightly different starting points.
Hint 2; Save your preferred general route than use way points to personalize it.

Possibly try iOverlander for stealth camping spots but I believe attitudes have hardened towards stealth campers lately.

Good luck!

theclaud

Openly Marxist
@theclaud knows that neck of the woods.
I lived in Aber for five years but didn't have a bike at the time. So I've never actually ridden a loop from Aber - there may be people with better advice. However I have ridden some of the surrounding terrain since. The Elan Valley and/or Llyn Brianne would be where I'd head for. The area is very beautiful - I will refresh my memory with a map when I get a minute but there aren't many roads so the route might write itself. A loop taking in both would probably put you over your mileage requirements, @Mudders. At a hunch I'd plump for Elan Valley via Devil's Bridge and Cwmystwyth, Rhayader, Llanidloes, Dylife, Machynlleth. As long as you like climbing - there's a lot of it but with rewarding views. The A487 back to Aber from Mach might not be fun if there's a lot of traffic - I guess you could take a loop out of it via Ynyslas and Borth, or just hop on a train at Mach...

OP
OP
mudsticks

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
I lived in Aber for five years but didn't have a bike at the time. So I've never actually ridden a loop from Aber - there may be people with better advice. However I have ridden some of the surrounding terrain since. The Elan Valley and/or Llyn Brianne would be where I'd head for. The area is very beautiful - I will refresh my memory with a map when I get a minute but there aren't many roads so the route might write itself. A loop taking in both would probably put you over your mileage requirements, @Mudders. At a hunch I'd plump for Elan Valley via Devil's Bridge and Cwmystwyth, Rhayader, Llanidloes, Dylife, Machynlleth. As long as you like climbing - there's a lot of it but with rewarding views. The A487 back to Aber from Mach might not be fun if there's a lot of traffic - I guess you could take a loop out of it via Ynyslas and Borth, or just hop on a train at Mach...

Ace thanks yes Tbh I was being a bit lazy at not even dragging out the map..

I remember the Elan Valley being very picturesque with a series of lakes / reservoirs..

I'm expecting to climb..It's Wales after all^_^

Must be a spot for a tiny tent up there to be tucked away.

And yes maybe working in a train ride back to Aberystwyth, or anywhere on the homebound line.. So it doesn't have to be a loop as such .

:okay:

theclaud

Openly Marxist
Ace thanks yes Tbh I was being a bit lazy at not even dragging out the map..

I remember the Elan Valley being very picturesque with a series of lakes / reservoirs..

I'm expecting to climb..It's Wales after all^_^

Must be a spot for a tiny tent up there to be tucked away.

And yes maybe working in a train ride back to Aberystwyth, or anywhere on the homebound line.. So it doesn't have to be a loop as such .

:okay:
Having looked at the map, the loop I suggested is a bit long - more like 100 miles. I took it as read that you needed to be back in Aber at the end. If not you might consider incorporating the marvellous Heart of Wales line. You could take a one way trip to Llandovery via Llyn Brianne, or to Llanwrtyd Wells via the Devil's Staircase :ohmy:, and catch a train to Shrewsbury (or Llanelli!). I'm not much of a camper but I imagine it might be nice to pitch a tent somewhere up near Llyn Brianne. Or there's an actual campsite ay Ystraddffin.

theclaud

Openly Marxist
I should add there are only about four trains a day on the Heart of Wales line, and at some stops you have to flag them down. There are stops in places where there aren't even places.

The road down the Eastern side of Llyn Briane might be my favourite road in the UK. You could do an out-n-back from Aber in ~70 miles. Worth it, despite retracing IMO.

Elan Valley is also great, and would give you loop options, being nearer. If you don't mind a liddle gentle rough-stuff, try the Caerwen track (runs along the north side of the reservoir). That's probably an idyllic wild-camping area, with plentiful water and sheltered/concealed spots.
(link might work: https://www.google.com/maps/@52.275...254.43504&pitch=0&thumbfov=100!7i13312!8i6656 )

It would be CRIMINAL as a (healthy) cyclist to stay in Aber' and not rid East a bit into the mountains :P !!!

(the road round Nant-y-moch is also very nice, I've seen camper vans up there. Shorter trip from Aber.

theclaud

Openly Marxist
Summink like this? Disclaimer: I just made up the bit between Llanilar and Tregaron and haven't actually ridden it, but the rationale is that in that neck of the woods, if you're not in a hurry, it's worth picking smaller roads over A and B roads because on the radials from Aber everyone drives like an absolute ****. I say this as a rufty-tufty vehicular sort.

OP
OP
mudsticks

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Having looked at the map, the loop I suggested is a bit long - more like 100 miles. I took it as read that you needed to be back in Aber at the end. If not you might consider incorporating the marvellous Heart of Wales line. You could take a one way trip to Llandovery via Llyn Brianne, or to Llanwrtyd Wells via the Devil's Staircase :ohmy:, and catch a train to Shrewsbury (or Llanelli!). I'm not much of a camper but I imagine it might be nice to pitch a tent somewhere up near Llyn Brianne. Or there's an actual campsite ay Ystraddffin.
I should add there are only about four trains a day on the Heart of Wales line, and at some stops you have to flag them down. There are stops in places where there aren't even places.
West End Cafe in Llandovery is a cycling mecca (with and without engines/leather ;) ) You'll bloody need a good feed after that ride ...

Ace intel guys...

Who says you can't mix business with pleasure :becool:

OP
OP
mudsticks

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
I'm starting to think I might need to extend this trip...

I'm sure they can manage without me here for an extra day or two :angel:

just make sure your brakes are adjusted and working, those short sharp hills are hard going up and deadly going down, especially if there has been a little bit of precipitation.

I doubt you'll struggle for wild camping spots, I think your toughest decision will be how long you can stay.

enjoy and don't forget some images :okay:

Top Bottom