about to buy trek domane al2 - quick q

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
considering a trek domane. want to use it a lot on the trainer and then on the roads when weather improves. tried it out today, feels comfortable. both rim and disk are available in the shop. rim brakes are $200 cheaper. which would you go with? I know it depends on cycling plans etc. im leaning towards the disc brakes myself as even though i will be indoor a lot in the next couple of months, it seems like next year i will want to take it out a lot. is 200 extra about right for disc brakes?

If they are hydro discs then yes worth the £200 extra.
The decision becomes more difficult if they are cable discs - as IME these require alot of adjustments to keep the quality of braking.

Hydro discs are a much nicer feel , and of course they allow you to run bigger tyres...

Plenty of people still using rim brakes though - even on reasonably high end bikes. Nowt wrong with them.

Big T

Guru
I think the AL2 only comes with Cable discs as it has the Claris groupset. I’d personally go with rim brakes, especially if you are only riding on the road in summer. If you decide to go with disc brakes I would upgrade them to the HY/RD which are cable operated with hydraulic pistons.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
my bike for commuting has the same cable disk brakes and they are a bit rubbish compared to rim brakes , the only bonus is when its really chucking it down they are consistent so no omfg am I going to stop on a downhill .If your not planning to ride in really wet conditions then rim brakes are fine .

Top Bottom