About to start cycling, need help/advise

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Six miles each way a day is a walk in the park even for a beginner. Actually it's probably the perfect distance, short enough to manage in an easy 25 to 35 minutes yet long enough to establish and maintain a good base-fitness level within a few weeks.

If you are concerned about arriving at work in a sweat simply take it easy on the way in to work, you can always use the homeward ride as an opportunity to put your foot down.

Wearing multi layers of wicking fabric topped off with a breathable shell is the way forward when/if you really get into cycling.

MERV

2vtta2p.jpg

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
I'm sure you'll enjoy the commute mmace and get better at it. If flat I agree with others on the way there, you can slacken off slightly, use panniers etc if you want and wear normal clothes without sweating very much. On the way home you can go as fast as you like. If it is that flat I'm sure you'll be doing higher than 9mph average speed, in anycase whatever it is it'll increase. I don't think it's a great idea to listen to music in a rush hour urban setting and plan various routes carefully for when you get fed up of them!

OP
OP
M

mmace

marinyork said:
I'm sure you'll enjoy the commute mmace and get better at it. If flat I agree with others on the way there, you can slacken off slightly, use panniers etc if you want and wear normal clothes without sweating very much. On the way home you can go as fast as you like. If it is that flat I'm sure you'll be doing higher than 9mph average speed, in anycase whatever it is it'll increase. I don't think it's a great idea to listen to music in a rush hour urban setting and plan various routes carefully for when you get fed up of them!
cheers for the reply.

I start at 7 and finish at 3 so I'll be missing any rush hours!

Be prepared to get hooked!

I can't add much to the others - apart from bpend money on things that are important. i.e. you can buy a cheap to, but don;t skimp on cold weather gloves. Cheap tubes, not cheap tyres.

Read cyclecraft!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Buy a track pump - it will make keeping your tyres at the correct pressure a doddle.

Set up your bike properly, and check the (likely) shoddy work the Halfrauds boys do, ask questions here or buy a bike book such as Zinn and the art of cycle maintainance. Learn how to keep your bike working smoothly.

Don;t ride over manhole covers, especially in the wet.

Don't gutter suck.

Stay well away from the door zone.

Have fun!!

Go to a car park and practice turning your bike using countersteering and practice e-stops and keep that inside pedal up when turning!!

bonj2

mmace said:
Hi, I'm new here and new to cycling (so new I haven't started yet!)
My work is about to move to 6 miles away from my home (it's currently walking distance) and I figured it would be better for me and cheaper to cycle there. I'm quite fit so I can handle the distance (not much for all of you!) and I will go out on a weekend to get used to it first!

The questions I have are:
What bike should I get?
I'm wanting to get to and from work as quick as I can but I'm also wanting a bike that's easy to maintain and ride (comfortable). I don't have a lot of money, about £450 and that needs to include accessories and I will be buying from www.halfords.com (I have credit there).
Possibly a carrera subway, not the one with fangled hub gears though.
Steer clear of "full-suspension" MTBSOs (mountain bike shaped objects) for that price though, they're gash and meant only for chavs.

mmace said:
Can you recommend anything I may have forgotten too apart from: lights, helmet, trip computer, repair kit (?), lock chain, padded shorts.
Pump. Repair kit's not much use without one!

That's the essentials covered. You may find you want other things the more experience you get, such as clipless pedals/compatible shoes, base layer/bib longs/cycling jacket, etc etc etc, but the above will see you right to start off with.

mmace said:
Another question is, what sort of speeds or time should I be looking at?
luckily the majority of the journey is flat (there's 8 metres height difference between home & work and no hills) and it's all on road but there's quite a few traffic lights on the way but also cycle lanes nearly all the way there. I know it varies from person to person, but I literally have no idea what sort of speeds people go at on a road. My brother thinks 9mph but I thought it would be faster than that?
If you're fairly fit 9mph on the flat is fairly slow, but if you've got lots of stop/start traffic lights etc then it's feasible it could drop to that.
Further to that though, it doesn't really matter what you should be aiming for - it's not for us on the forum, or even your brother or yourself for that matter - to tell you what speed you should be averaging.
Just cycle at a speed you feel comfortable and see how long it takes you, and then that's your basemark.
Bear in mind that various factors will affect your time, such as how much traffic there is, how windy it is (big one), how tired you are, etc.
Also bear in mind that the average speed that your computer records may be faster than your total distance divided by the time it's taken you, as they often only count average speeds when you're actually cycling, not when your'e stopped.

mmace said:
Also, what do people wear?
Don't fancy the skin tight lycra stuff and don't want to look stupid when not on the bike!
If you've got somewhere you can get changed, then I'd recommend getting bib longs, base layer, synthetic tshirt and cycling jacket, and getting changed into e.g. jogging trousers/jeans and t-shirt when you get to work, but i'm only saying that 'cos it's what i personally do.

mmace said:
also, is it a good idea to listen to music with earphones (just in one ear)?
I'm not too sure about this as I wouldn't be able to hear the traffic but it will help the time pass quicker and if I play faster music then I tend to go faster (when in the gym anyway!)
Nothing wrong with it. I can hear the traffic perfectly well with both ears in, I don't currently but only 'cos i haven't got round to buying a personal radio yet and I'm bored of all my music.

bonj2

mmace said:
thanks for the reply.
There's no showers at work but I can wash, all over, in a sink (!), I've heard of some sort of wool top to draw the sweat away, is that right?

yep, merino. 'Icebreaker' is a good brand, they sell them in Black's.

by the way don't listen to me if you don't want, but I'll have to let it be said that I disagree with mudguards.

tdr1nka

Taking the biscuit
bonj said:
By the way don't listen to me if you don't want, but I'll have to let it be said that I disagree with mudguards.

I seriously suggest not listening Bonj re; listening on headphones. It is Bonj's personal choice to listen to music on headphones while cycling but it is incredibly poor and irresponsable advice to give a novice commuter.:angry:

Oh, and the same goes for mudguards, you'll need them especially if you're going to cycle in work clothes.:biggrin:

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
mmace said:
cheers for the reply.

I start at 7 and finish at 3 so I'll be missing any rush hours!

This is Leeds we're talking about? I work only slightly different hours to you and I certainly get semi-rush hour conditions. There've been the most horrific grid locks sometimes about 7 in the morning, which of course I miss being on the bike :smile:. Anyway whatever levels of traffic you'll be fine, I just think listening to music takes away one of the input advantages you have on a bike and what could be dull about cycling? And as for motivation, cycling is its own motivation.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Hi mmace and welcome.

I think it's mostly all been said - for my part I wouldn't have earphones in in traffic, might have one in on the more open road. If you do listen to music, make sure you can still over the top of it - sometimes the wind noise might tempt you to turn the music up, and you really do benefit from good hearing - as a cylists you'll hear much more than motorists, for sure - I'm always well aware of an emergency siren for example long before most drivers react...

And mudgards, yes, I'm 'for' - being anti-mudguard is one of bonji's little foibles. Apart from keeping you clean, they also stop your spraying water over anyone riding behind you. If you get a sprtier bike, you can always get the sort that clip on and off easily, and ditch then when it's fine. Also hub gears - actually, for day to day commuting, in traffic, a hub gear makes a lot of sense - sod all maintenence, easy to change gear while stopped, dead simple and even if you get a bike with 21 or 24 or 27 gears, unless you commute for lots of miles over really hilly terrain, you'll end up only using 3 or 4 anyway. My winter bike has hub everything (gears and brakes) and I get away without ever giving it a clean through the winter.

6 miles each way is certainly do-able - but don't be afraid in the begining to give yourself a break midweek or so, if you're finding it hard and tiring. The distance fitness will come quickly, but you don't want to over burden your knees or whatever and strain them and put yourself off the bike for longer...

OP
OP
M

mmace

thank you very much guys, think I'm going to order one tonight.

evryones input has been very much appreciated!

tdr1nka

Taking the biscuit
The headphone argument also goes for not hearing other cyclists, I've had a number of occasions where I have scared cyclists with headphones on by simply overtaking them!

Keep us posted as to how you get on mmace.

Top Bottom