About to start cycling, need help/advise

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
M

mmace

marinyork said:
This is Leeds we're talking about? I work only slightly different hours to you and I certainly get semi-rush hour conditions. There've been the most horrific grid locks sometimes about 7 in the morning, which of course I miss being on the bike ;). Anyway whatever levels of traffic you'll be fine, I just think listening to music takes away one of the input advantages you have on a bike and what could be dull about cycling? And as for motivation, cycling is its own motivation.
well, I came to the new work building in the car this morning, I set off at 6:30 and it took under 15 minutes to get here, there was no traffic and the lights were all in my favour!
my brother starts an hour after me at 8 and he just phoned me 5 mins ago (5 to 8) to say the traffic is really bad and he's only a mile from his home (we live within a mile of each other) and he set off 30 mins ago. So I think I'll be OK getting here for 7 as there's not much traffic going into the centre or within the cenre!

MERV

tdr1nka said:
The headphone argument also goes for not hearing other cyclists, I've had a number of occasions where I have scared cyclists with headphones on by simply overtaking them!

Keep us posted as to how you get on mmace.

Don't think I ever have.

I have also got on video somewhere.(when I was wearing headphones)...of a cyclist so damn close to me his arm touched my arm as he overtook.Although this didn't startle me it annoyed me.I will have to dig it out.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
tdr1nka said:
The headphone argument also goes for not hearing other cyclists, I've had a number of occasions where I have scared cyclists with headphones on by simply overtaking them!

I've quite often not heard a cyclist come up behind me, though mostly that's with the noise of London traffic. Apart from once or twice when I was off in my own world, I've always seen them so far though, which clearly shows your overtakees weren't looking enough.

MERV

Concentration is another thing and can be fatal if you drift at the wrong time.Generally it can be dodgy after a long day at work.

I must find that cyclist overtake me from last week it was a classic and it was scary.

OP
OP
M

mmace

well, this post may not have been worth it after all!
after 2 days in the new office we were moved yesterday to 3.2 miles in the other direction from my house!
typical!

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
9 miles? Perfect commute distance, nice and quick and short, and yet you'll still get proper fit from it.

OP
OP
M

mmace

no, it was 6 miles in one direction, now we're 3 miles in the other (so it's 3 miles in total from my house)
no other ways to get there either to make it longer, may have to go home and back in my dinner half hour!

Pecan

Everything everyone else has said.

Plus, my advice is to make sure you stay chilled. Sooner or later you will come across some idiot who does something stupid. If you're concentrating on your speed, it's too easy for the red mist to come down and the temptation to over react goes way up. If you can stay relaxed but attentive you'll hardly be any slower on average but you'll be enjoying yourself far more and, in my opinion, a good deal safer.

The biggest effect on average speed on my short commute is the stops and starts at junctions etc, not the speed I'm doing in between them.

I'd leave the headphones at home personally, keep your hearing clear.

Have fun, you'll love it.

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
mmace said:
no, it was 6 miles in one direction, now we're 3 miles in the other (so it's 3 miles in total from my house)
no other ways to get there either to make it longer, may have to go home and back in my dinner half hour!

No problem, start off by going and couple of miles in the wrong direction then turn round...:ohmy: Three miles can be a fun sprint, just fit a computer and try to beat you best time every day.

OP
OP
M

mmace

Hairy Jock said:
No problem, start off by going and couple of miles in the wrong direction then turn round...:ohmy: Three miles can be a fun sprint, just fit a computer and try to beat you best time every day.
good idea, I've been looking at maps & satellite images for 2 days trying to find an alternate route but there isn't one that doesn't involve a steep hill into and out of a valley (I will build up to that, but not to start with!)

Top Bottom