- Absolute beginner - What "budget" beginner bike would you recommend?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
I've seen Deliverjustuber riders on everything from expensive carbon bikes right through hybrids and MTBs to fixies and on one occasion a BMX(!)

I'd agree with the posts upthread, something like the Decathlon hybrid or a Carrera Subway with road tyres at your budget, not the lightest of bikes but pretty bomb proof and relatively simple so less expensive to fix. You won't lose much money on it either if you decide it's not for you.

Don't forget a decent lock though.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
@LeeB.99 my advice would be to try and pick up one of the many lightly used up to 3 year old bikes that are advertised on a regular basis and if you have any change left from your budget pick up another as a spare .

Learn how to do the basic's of cylce maintenance whilst you at it

Shortandcrisp

Über Member
Some sort of hybrid would be best - given the beating second-hand is fine - but the fit it most important.

Decathlon or similar?

Mind you, my hybrid's an old Raleigh Pioneer bought for £20 - I've done 500 miles on it including 25 today and it's fine.
Reading through this I decided to take a punt on this. £27 on fleabay! 34C34DB6-3557-4CA7-B4CA-3C134DFB69AA.jpeg

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
For some unknown reason they just don't sell. Which is why mine keeps getting used as a local run-around and is staying with me.

It's very odd, because they are good bikes - although I don't think the multi-colour paint jobs on the earlier models helps much as they look very dated now so tend to relegate themselves to the pub/hack/poverty constrained buyer.
A year ago I bought a complete one with the intention of using it as a spares donor. The seller had got no interest @ £20 even after relisting it twice. so then he dropped it to a tenner, and I just stuck a lowball bid in to see what happened. No-one else bid and I ended up getting the complete bike plus another two cannibalised ones with missing wheels etc, all for £10! I know they aren't very exotic, but a few beers costs more than that! Old everyday steel machinery is totally unloved.

Last edited:

FishFright

More wheels than sense
Whatever you choose you should buy two of them, if you want to make your living on bikes as the only one you have being off the road means no income.

This is like a courier bike, it needs to be reliable, durable, as light as possible and reasonably comfortable.
Avoid suspension.
Get the correct size.
Singlespeed and esp fixed gear are for more expert riders.
On a road bike you may want wider tyres (28mm) + clearance for optional mudguards. For 26" mtb wheel size 1.5" slick tyres are quick. Modern 27.5" mtb size are harder to find in good, slick road style.
Disc brakes are really good, esp in wet conditions.
The main point of weakness of are wheels.
You need quality slick tyres, a good lighting system.

A good used bike would be my choice or a £300+ bike.

Top Bottom