absolutely c*****d myself!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Steaming down a local 10% at a heady 36mph, I hit a bump, there was a sudden twang and a thump as something got caught between the spokes and the forks. There was a dramatic wobble as I veered towards the local wild goat population and being the vertiginous creatures that they are, I knew that just beyond said goat was a large plunge to a certain wet end via some interesting igneous rock formations.

Anyway via some judicous braking and staccatto swearing, the latter essential to enable the muscles to relax from their pre-rigormortis brace position, I remebered I hadn't brought a change of underwear before managing to slew sideways to a nice stop on the wrong side of the road whereupon the goat gave a plaintiff maaawr before leaping agilely down a 200ft cliff to pastures new.

Anyway turns out the front reflector had twisted on impact with a pothole and got caught between the spokes and the fork. Luckily it shattered instantly with bits hitting me in the face. I've now removed the rear one.

I advise you all to check yours if you have 'em on and maybe take them off or replace them with somehting else.

:blush:

I understand why you nearly 'crackled' yourself!
Touching cloth is best avoided.
Now be a good boy and don't do it again.
For a while.

Glad you made it safely. :blush:

Pete

Ouch!!! :blush::ohmy::ohmy:
Usual comment, glad you're OK, never mind about the bike.

Usual motto, nothing on the forks please! I decided that a long time ago (didn't have anything as spectacular as yours though!). I used to have a touring frame with a brazed-on boss on the fork, can use that I suppose if it's really secure, but otherwise ... use the handlebar...

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Years ago, when front lights were mounted on a bracket on the right fork, mine came loose, went into spokes, stopped the front wheel dead, and I followed over, landing on my back with bike on top of me...oooof!

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
I'm impressed that the main topic on your mind as you wobbled towards a messy and goat-trampled demise was the igneous rock formations!
Glad it all came out OK (apart from the reflector. Condolences for it.).

OP
OP
C

Crackle

Thanks folks. Kirstie you'll need to elaborate on what you thought I'd done for your imagined title :smile:

Anyway, I've just eaten the weekends fry-up, so I feel a lot better. Might have been complete co-incidence but by the time I got up the last climb I was feeling positively ill and a bit trembly: Much better now though :blush:

Crackle said:
Thanks folks. Kirstie you'll need to elaborate on what you thought I'd done for your imagined title :smile:

Anyway, I've just eaten the weekends fry-up, so I feel a lot better. Might have been complete co-incidence but by the time I got up the last climb I was feeling positively ill and a bit trembly: Much better now though :blush:

I don't know - I just read the title and then clicked on the thread to find out exactly what you'd been doing. I suppose you might have seen your dream bike in the flesh or something like that... it was more a reflection of the twisted inner workings of my mind than anything else...

OP
OP
C

Crackle

Yes I think I read one of his suggestions. It was the last one if all else should fail!

Sorry, just realized re-reading my post and the replies. It was a wheel reflector, one of those white ones that goes on the spokes. It was just on the bike from when I got it. Never really thought about or noticed the bloody things 'till today. Just off to check spoke tension and wheel alignment now.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Wheel reflectors are evil...... those and any others must be removed at all costs, unless it's a commuting bike where front/rears can stay

Top Bottom