Absolutely furious!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GrasB

Veteran
I've now had 2 attempts at a 10.3 mile loop at full blast. Both attempts have been thwarted by <beep> whits throwing things at me.

Ride 1: 3.9 miles out, ciggy butt flicked at me, burned through my top & burnt me causing me to lose control & come off breaking a spoke. So that's a wrecked summer shorts & cycling top along broken wheel & a damaged tyre, probably needs binning.

Take my self off to A&E & get a few x-rays as I hit the road hard. All patched up I sort out the bike & several hours latter I'm ready to go...

Ride 2: about 2.4 miles out a can, I think, was thrown at me, missed me but my rear wheel when over it, sliced tyre wall but at least the tyre stayed up long enough for me to ride home. So that's another tyre written off plus it looks like an inner tube.

In less than 12 hours almost almost £200 worth of my equipment has been damaged/written off by the action of idiots. WHAT THE **** ARE PEOPLE THINKING?

Keith Oates

Janner
Not much to say about that except that you have every right to be furious. Let's hope that your period of meeting scum is over for a while at least!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Crankarm

Guru
Sh1t :smile:! Where are you cycling, Baghdad?

Have you reported these incidents to plod? I know Cambs Police are flippin' useless, but the fag thrown at you that burned your clothing and caused you to hit the deck is really serious. I hope your injuries heal quickly and if plod are involved the b4stards are actually caught.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
That sounds really bad. Hopefully that's unusual circumstances for you rather than normal?? Did you have a go at reporting it to the police?

OP
OP
GrasB

GrasB

Veteran
The first incident has been reported. I have the registration, make, model & description of some occupants in the car from a number of witnesses for this so hopefully this can be pursued further. A big thanks to anyone who stopped too help a guy on a metalic purple bike with a yellow/black jersey & black cycling shorts, I must apologise to all, I was a little angry at that point thus my rather colourful use of english :smile:.

The second one I'm not going to bother about as the information is absolutely non-existent: dark coloured saloon car with HID headlights is as detailed as I can get.

Crankarm, thanks for that. With the exception of a burn on my right pec it's bruising & minor cuts. I at least landed on a soft/wet verge overgrown with grass but hitting the deck from doing the best part of 30mph is never soft. Too sore to ride the bike & even drive today.

summerdays, yeah it was the first time I've had any serious physical attack launched at me on a bike. Abuse hurled at me & not giving me enough space on the road is the usual bad stuff.

RedBike

This thing really does seem to be becoming more common.

Last week I also got a cigerette butt thrown at me from out of a parked car window. Just to make sure I didn't burn they threw a half drunk Mcdonalds coke at my back too.

I cycled back and threw the cigerette back through their window.

aran20

Last season I had a water bomb thrown at me from a car coming towards me... Great shot cause it hit me square on and nearly made me loose control as I wasn't expecting it, what a twat though for doing it. These people just have no idea!

bauldbairn

GrasB said:
In less than 12 hours almost £200 worth of my equipment has been damaged/written off by the action of idiots. WHAT THE **** ARE PEOPLE THINKING?

That's the problem their not "thinking." ;)

Sorry to hear about your incidents - hope you recover fully!

Hopefully the Police will sort out the first one as you have the reg etc. Let us know how it progresses - as I'm sure we'd all like to know!

arallsopp

Post of The Year 2009 winner
Hope you can get back on the bike and put it behind you. I had a two week phase of getting stuff thrown at me, but once passed, it hasn't come back in 6 months.

lazyfatgit

Sorry to hear of your woes GrasB. I had some bother over the summer with idiots throwing stuff and it does get a bit disheartening.

Living over here for a couple of months has made me realize just how scummy my home town is becoming.

Hope you injuries heal quick and you get a result with plod

OP
OP
GrasB

GrasB

Veteran
Well I'm mostly healed as my injuries were thankfully superficial, just the burn to heal up really.

arallsopp, as for getting back on the bike I suggest you take a close look at the cyclogs leader board :smile:

OP
OP
GrasB

GrasB

Veteran
More like I managed to average 28miles/day last month fairly easily with a few days off & 4 days in the Alps... then realised if I added 5 miles a day I'd pass the 1000mile/month marker & being one to rise to a challenge n' all that ;) :biggrin:

I've just seen this.

Have you had any feedback from the police regarding their enquiries? If not, and your witnesses are rock solid, I'd suggest writing to the Chief Constable to get things moving.

There were a few YACFers on the Invicta 100 a year or two a go in which one of our number had her bum slapped by a passenger in a passing hatchback. I noted the registration number and was the main witness.

After a while, when nothing happened, I wrote the the Kent Top Cop, pointing out that if they couldn't secure a conviction when all the work had been done for them, what hope was there of ever reducing the crime rate, things started moving. The driver was interviewed, he shopped his passenger and the offender received a police caution.

OP
OP
GrasB

GrasB

Veteran
Things are progressing, slowly but progressing. I'll not say much but let's just say this is another incident to add to the list for these people.

Top Bottom