Absolutely wonderful (formerly absolutely useless) housing association

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
My thoughts too, our old heating system has eventually died, it's looking like £2200 to £3000 to replace/convert to a combi boiler, Looks like a decent boiler too, not bad for nowt
Swings and roundabouts,as they say. My parents worked all their lives,paid for and constantly maintained a house. Dad died 4 years into retirement after working in the same place for 49 years. Then mum developed dementia and spent the last 5 years of her life in a home. All her savings and her house were swallowed up in her care home costs. In her will she left less than £4000. Not much to show for a 'life of toil' eh! Probably enough to buy a couple of combi boilers.

lane

Veteran
My thoughts too, our old heating system has eventually died, it's looking like £2200 to £3000 to replace/convert to a combi boiler, Looks like a decent boiler too, not bad for nowt

Just paid £2k to replace combi like with like plus some radiator thermostats replaced. It's got a 10 year gurantee which is something.

stephec

Legendary Member
Swings and roundabouts,as they say. My parents worked all their lives,paid for and constantly maintained a house. Dad died 4 years into retirement after working in the same place for 49 years. Then mum developed dementia and spent the last 5 years of her life in a home. All her savings and her house were swallowed up in her care home costs. In her will she left less than £4000. Not much to show for a 'life of toil' eh! Probably enough to buy a couple of combi boilers.
That sounds just like my nana and grandad. 😔

Brains

Legendary Member
The heating has been off now for 10 hours and the gauge indicates 1.25. I suppose it's ok now?:smile:

As an FYI, hot water expands.
Therefore the pressure will drop when the system is cold and it will increase when the system is hot.
As long as it remains within the green zone you are fine.

If there is a small leak it may take quite a while to prove (weeks) as a pinprick leak may only happen when the pressure is high/hot and it may take a week or to before you notice the pressure drop.

Also as water is circulated around the system the oxygen is slowly removed, it will collect at the highest point, (an upstairs radiator?) which will need bleeding, which in turn will mean you will need to top up with water for the air you have removed

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
As an FYI, hot water expands.
Therefore the pressure will drop when the system is cold and it will increase when the system is hot.
As long as it remains within the green zone you are fine.

If there is a small leak it may take quite a while to prove (weeks) as a pinprick leak may only happen when the pressure is high/hot and it may take a week or to before you notice the pressure drop.

Also as water is circulated around the system the oxygen is slowly removed, it will collect at the highest point, (an upstairs radiator?) which will need bleeding, which in turn will mean you will need to top up with water for the air you have removed

It's looking ok (just taken this pic'). I'm not gonna rock the boat by bleeding radiators and stuff. If it ain't broke,don't fix it! :okay:

1616371832589.png

Last edited:
Ahh, gas servicing is very important. If the regulator of social housing finds out an RSL has fallen behind with compliance they can direct another company to take over the RSL gas work! You would be surprised though the number of time’s a gas engineer needs to “fix” a tenants dodgy gas self DIY.

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Just let the gas safety check be done; it's irrelevant that the boiler has been replaced.
I will do. It's not a case of not letting them in,more i didn't know they were coming. Slightly embarrassing though. My flat's door is in view of a well walked/used pavement. How many will have seen that yellow sign and thought 'He's being evicted'.:rolleyes:

Brains

Legendary Member
I arrived home this afternoon to find this stuck to my door. Wouldn't you have thought they'd know that they fitted a new boiler 4 weeks ago! :rolleyes:

View attachment 580355
What a strange way of dealing with this issue!

As a landlord I need to arrange a gas certification inspection for every property, every year.
I always arrange a mutually convent date and time for each inspection to take place, as in most cases the tenants work, I would never expect anyone to open the door in the middle of the day.

Last edited:
Top Bottom