Absolutely wonderful (formerly absolutely useless) housing association

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I said to the boiler fitter that i thought my water pressure was too high,after i'd tried the shower. he said it was ok and i didn't want it 'too low'. I've just had a shower. After about a minute the water wasn't warm enough and was breaching the shower wall! I had to get out,mop the bit up that'd flowed out,before it went into you know who's below,then turn the stop tap pressure down. When i did that the water became much warmer.

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Valiant, Worcester & Baxi are volume sellers on the UK market & reliable if installed correctly. Viessmann a smaller player that's also known for reliability.
A independant installer from local recomendations is usually your best bet.
If this was 'What's My Line',the guess my job program from the 1950's i'd say that you're either a boiler fitter or you have a keen interest in the things.:okay:

irw

Quadricyclist
I said to the boiler fitter that i thought my water pressure was too high,after i'd tried the shower. he said it was ok and i didn't want it 'too low'. I've just had a shower. After about a minute the water wasn't warm enough and was breaching the shower wall! I had to get out,mop the bit up that'd flowed out,before it went into you know who's below,then turn the stop tap pressure down. When i did that the water became much warmer.

Can you not just not turn the shower on so much?! :scratch:

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Can you not just not turn the shower on so much?! :scratch:
No,if i turn this below clockwise the pressure lowers,but the water goes cooler. That's ok in summer,but i can't hack cool showers in winter,even if the bathroom's warm!:stop:

1614298659261.png

irw

Quadricyclist
Most probably with it being a 'council' flat. Having said that,i wonder what an 'expensive' shower does better than a 'cheap' one?🤔

Mixes the water...mine has two knobs- one that does hot/cold and one that does 'amount of water' (which actually twists two ways, as there is a fixed head in one direction and a handheld head in the other- the further you twist it each way, the more water comes out respectively...).

Although mine was (relatively) expensive, budget versions that do a similar thing are definitely available!

classic33

Leg End Member

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Mixes the water...mine has two knobs- one that does hot/cold and one that does 'amount of water' (which actually twists two ways, as there is a fixed head in one direction and a handheld head in the other- the further you twist it each way, the more water comes out respectively...).

Although mine was (relatively) expensive, budget versions that do a similar thing are definitely available!
I'm just happy with my fairly powerful jet of very warm water! After 11 'three kettles showers' you appreciate such things.

Ahh, the cold water issue after hot water issue. You need to turn the temperature up on the boiler for hot water itself in order to get the water hotter. The eco setting is about 50 degrees if I remember rightly, I had mine set to around 60 degrees and it was great for a hot shower, didn’t solve the run through time though unless I set it to preheat and been a tight northerner, there was no way I would do that!

newts

Veteran
If this was 'What's My Line',the guess my job program from the 1950's i'd say that you're either a boiler fitter or you have a keen interest in the things.:okay:
Not a boiler fitter but have worked & project managed on many heating/bathroom projects over the last 30 years. I still have daily dealings with plumbers & merchants so keep reasonably up to date with market trends in boilers etc.

newts

Veteran
This applies to anybody having flow issues with a combi boiler;-
1 - Turning the stopcock down doesn't reduce pressure, only water flow rate.
2 - Pressure imbalance is common on poorly installed systems where the incoming mains pressure is far higher than the hot flow from a combi (prv restricted to 3 bar)
3 - To get a decent shower from a combi the hot water needs to be set on maximum (it heats cold water as it it passes through the boiler to the tap/shower outlet).

In Accy's case with shower issues, it'll likely be down to either dirt ingress on the hot pipe during boiler change blocking the shower valve or pressure imbalance across hot/cold water. Turning the boiler hot water setting to max may help. The shower valve appears to be manual single lever type (not thermostatic), they don't work well when there's pressure imbalance.

Top Bottom