Absolutely wonderful (formerly absolutely useless) housing association

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Brand new fitted Worcestor Posh - that's proper money. Should keep you toasty.

Did they show you how to keep an eye on the pressure? :whistle:
Er,no. :unsure:

As a Landlord, I believe they are correct.

There are no rules to say a boiler must be fixed in 24hrs.
If a boiler breaks down in a Friday before Xmas Eve you will not be getting a fitter on site for at least 4 days, even in an emergency, and if they then take one look and say "it's knackered", then you will be looking at 10 days plus to fit a replacement followed by redecoration or making good thereafter.

Reading through the text of the attachment, there is a reference to the minimum heating being "68 degrees" That must be Farenheit, a temperature scale that has not been valid in the UK for half a century or more. I suspect that bit of text has come from a US site, where Fahrenheit is still a recognised temperature measure. So quite frankly I think the advice is total bo***cks.

That said, I keep in storage about 8 oil filled electric radiators.
Should the heating fail in any of my properties I can have those all set up within 2 hours.
At least the house will be habitable, even if that does not solve the hot water problem.

I was amazed when talking to an agent who works for one of the larger rental companies that they do not have any emergency heating, lighting, water, or flood/fire back up at all, yet boiler failure in particular is a regular event for the company.
It make one understand Grenfell
I think landlords are sometimes expected to be able to move heaven and earth. I'm not referring to Accty but the assumption that because you are renting the landlord has tradesmen able to spring into action at the drop of a hat.Back in the UK I had a boiler fail during a very cold spell of weather. I rang my usual plumber but he was away in the sun somewhere.
I rang around several other plumbers until finding one who agreed to call the next day.
The boiler needed a part and as the boiler was quite old he didn't have one. It took 10 day to get the part and have the boiler working again.
Maybe if I was in rented I would have been given compensation.
It was nobody's fault, just a string of delays and had it been a property I was renting out to a tenant it would have taken just as long.

postman

Legendary Member
Three or fouryears ago our boiler died.Our regular man was on holiday.So I reached out to a neighbour who told us about a local chap.It was the best thing that happened to use.A beautiful Vailiant boiler,an annual service plus gas fire servicing,at half the price.I wonder if the other bloke was over charging .

Is the sparky coming back to wire the boiler into the plug properly instead of it been plugged into a 3pin socket?

That is a Worcester I20/I25 greenstar boiler, had on in our old house, the filling loop is on the bottom which annoyingly has been hidden behind the skirting which I also hope is temporary!

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Is the sparky coming back to wire the boiler into the plug properly instead of it been plugged into a 3pin socket?

That is a Worcester I20/I25 greenstar boiler, had on in our old house, the filling loop is on the bottom which annoyingly has been hidden behind the skirting which I also hope is temporary!
Yes,the electrician will wire in the cord to the socket next to the boiler. Also,someone will 'box in' the rough bits,like the tiles they broke when ripping out the old boiler.

Top Bottom