Abus Granite x plus 54 - Any good? Worth £35

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

icebergx

Hi all,
I've been offered one of these locks for £35.
Is that a good deal?
The lock appears to be highly rated. Does anyone have any experience with this lock?

Thanks.

Heavy, bulky, and absolutely worth it!

This lock surpasses the others on most tests and is "Gold Secure"

Is it second hand or new?

OP
OP
I

icebergx

New as far as I'm aware (haven't checked with the guys).

How does this compare with the Kryptonite NY Standard 09?

Along with a U Lock, lots of people use a long, thin cable to secure the front wheel. Is this a good idea?
Are these cables all very similar?
Can anyone recommend one?

Very nice lock, I have one. The bracket is quite novel.

I'd go to the Abus over a kryptonite. That's a very good price btw, I paid £53 for mine delivered and that was the cheapest I could find it.

Will1985 said:
For that lock it's a steal. Make sure you get both keys and the card with it.

That's why I asked about second hand...... I would not buy a lock locally without all the keys and the card!

OP
OP
I

icebergx

What's the card for?
To enable you to get another key cut if necessary?

Also, Are the cables loop things very similar?
Can anyone recommend one?

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
Yep would rate the Abus - cheap at that price so make sure everything comes with it- The New York Lock failed on me - resulting in a stolen bike!
Cable tie at the front wheel is more for deterring petty thieves - you want to take the wheel off (if you have a quick release skewer) and lock it with the frame onto the immovable rack.

That's a good point, I imagine you'd get some funny looks if you kept taking your front wheel off whenever you locked your bike. Would save having to carry around a cable lock though although the mere presence of an extra lock acts as a deterrent.

Crankarm

Guru
IMHO the best D-lock on the market. So good I carry two, one for the front and one for the rear wheel, one in each pannier. I wouldn't touch Kryptonite with a barge pole, as with ttcycle, had one fail and my first Brompton L6 stolen.

As for cable locks wouldn't use any of them either. A lot give the impression of being the business, really secure, but are in reality no better than a piece of string. You lot continue using them mind as thieves seem to prefer cutting them in preference to tackling an Abus Granit X-Plus (reaches for some wood to touch).

Just make sure the one you are being offered comes with both keys and the plastic card plus the mount should you wish to attach it to your bike frame when not in use. I would ask a lot of questions about it's provenance and if ANY doubt do not buy it. Not sure if the Abus keys can be copied either......... What might seem to be an offer too good to refuse might well be. You will then wish you had bought new. What bike have you got btw?

It always cracks me up when people buy a £3000-4000 bike or even one costing a grand and spend only £6.99 on a bike cable from Halfords. Absolute muppets.

£60-70 on a decent D-lock doesn't seem a lot to spend if you value keeping your bike. It is certainly a lesser cost than having to replace your bike when it is nicked. Anyway if you are planning to spend £35 an extra £30-40 is worth it to get something that hopefully is genuinely secure.

Although the lock is great I will admit I have had some problems with the key getting stuck. It's starting to really annoy me. A bash on top of the key seems to loosen it up but not without effort.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Riverman said:
Although the lock is great I will admit I have had some problems with the key getting stuck. It's starting to really annoy me. A bash on top of the key seems to loosen it up but not without effort.

Time to lubricate the lock with some graphite powder?

Top Bottom