Abusive and Threatening motorist convicted and sentenced

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Miquel In De Rain

No Longer Posting
Good,im glad this thug got sentenced.

lukesdad

I don't think that's cynical at all, but realistic. Prisons are rather overcrowded, and I personally think that judges have been too keen to hand down custodial sentences for offences where community work would probably be more constructive and effective. Prisons are, for the most part, an expensive way of turning a petty criminal into a hardened one.

What purpose does prison serve? It's clearly not a deterrant (but nothing is, as no-one thinks they'll get caught).
IMO, it should be used to protect the public from dangerous people (particularly violent criminals) and to punish people for serious offences (not necessarily violent - large scale fraud for example). It should be a last resort rather than a first, and the whole focus of prison should be rehabilitation and the reduction of reoffending. It doesn't matter if they've got TV and other "soft" facilities. The loss of liberty is the punishment; everything else should be geared towards returning them as useful members of society.

So, I don't think the suspended sentence should necessarily have been invoked in this case - I don't know enough to form an opinion on that.

Having said all of that, if someone is a persistent danger behind the wheel, they need a lifetime driving ban. This is something the courts hardly ever consider, as far as I can tell.

Sorry for the loser length post and the derail!
I agree with you ben for once. I think lifetime driving bans would hurt these type of offenders far more than a few months detained at her majesty s pleasure, and us footing the bill, when it should be their bill.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Are lifetime bans any good without significantly more traffic policing and enforcement? I don't think we necessarily need different laws, just far more traffic police than the current level.

lukesdad

Are lifetime bans any good without significantly more traffic policing and enforcement? I don't think we necessarily need different laws, just far more traffic police than the current level.
Good question, we probably wouldn t know for certain until their use was widespread. If they were made public. I think otherwise normally law abiding folk would adhere to the bans, of course I couldn t be sure, I m also sure there would be people lining up to inform on them if they didn t.

Another way could be to relieve them of their 30k cars.

lukesdad

Whether its prison or more police, I dont see why we should be footing the bill. Hit them where it, hurts the most, their bl**dy pockets !

Bicycle

Of course it would also require question marks to be used where needed?:whistle:

Quite so. None needed. :whistle:

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Whether its prison or more police, I dont see why we should be footing the bill. Hit them where it, hurts the most, their bl**dy pockets !

I quite agree. I don't see why the government shouldn't become considerably tougher in the fines department. Fines by income band, much more traffic policing, etc. Speeding, mobile phone use, box junction use, etc. Hammer the abusers hard. And yes, even RLJing cyclists too.

Tynan

Veteran
threats to kill is indeed a criminal offence

he had a suspended sentence for malaicious wounding but threatening to kill someone didn't affect that suspension?

Top Bottom