acceptable wear and aged brake rubber

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I seem to be constantly replacing multi speed blocks and chains. At a guess after perhaps 1000 to 1500 miles maybe a little more. Is this normal or a symptom of buying cheap parts(there don't seem to be much of a choice of screw on blocks these days) or maybe not cleaning the chain thoroughly enough before applying fresh lube?

Also has anyone got any suggestions for making extremely old brake blocks less hard, by soaking them in something or just bin em?

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
I would say that your chains and blocks should last longer than what you are getting out of them. I would review your cleaning methods.
As for old brake blocks, you could try sanding the braking surface down a touch, but if they have gone really hard then new ones are needed.
What bike are you riding and in what conditions?

Reactions: C R

Drago

Legendary Member
that's within range for a chain. I'm a heavy powerful rider and do well indeed to get to 1500 miles before the chain is worn to 0.75.

Just bin the brake blocks - they're so cheap it seems daft to take chances with something that could save your life.

boydj

Legendary Member
Have you tried just replacing the chain rather than chain and block at the same time? If you replace the chain before it gets too worn the block should last for a lot more than one chain.

C R

Guru
1500 miles for a chain sounds OK, but you shouldn't need to replace the freewheel. I go through something like four chains before my cassette needs replacing.

OP
OP
Ed no-more-lemons
Thanx for everyones input
I have been using a Gazelle very heavily and for work over the last 9 months and as the drop outs are 120mm don't really have the option of using a cassette. Brake blocks came with a secondhand backup machine and are in the bin. The current chainset is just beginning to show wear, so am ordering some new chains.
As the block only has 2 notches for removal I am tempted keep running the existing chain and replace the whole lot sooner than later and I am not to diligent in chain cleaning, but need to make more effort as conditions presumably become wetter.

C R

Guru
I have been using a Gazelle very heavily and for work over the last 9 months and as the drop outs are 120mm don't really have the option of using a cassette. Brake blocks came with a secondhand backup machine and are in the bin. The current chainset is just beginning to show wear, so am ordering some new chains.
As the block only has 2 notches for removal I am tempted keep running the existing chain and replace the whole lot sooner than later and I am not to diligent in chain cleaning, but need to make more effort as conditions presumably become wetter.
There's no reason why freewheels should wear quicker than cassettes.

boydj

Legendary Member

Better to replace the chain and have a replacement block available. If the chain jumps on the old block, then replace the block. I suspect you should be able to get at least 2 chains to each block and possibly more.

pawl

Legendary Member
One thing I do regularly weekly is clean the chain .I tend to use wet chain lube
Occasionally use dry lube if the weather is very dry Clean the chain every three rides using the Mickel method :bicycle::bicycle::bicycle:

Reactions: C R
Top Bottom