accessories - how to choose?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fizzy

hi,

recentlly purchased a spesh sirrus d4w - really enjoying it, but adding accessories is proving a little troublesome...

I've given up on my closest LBS (evans) and would like some advice...

Basically I'd like to add mudguards and a pannier rack and some bar ends - I've bought some stuff from decathalon but it didn't fit ;)... Essentially either the screws were too short (mudguards) and for the pannier rack too wide to fit in holese on the frame near the wheels (sorry that isn't a very technically apt description)!

Can someone recommend some products that will fit?

Thanks in advance!

Tynan

Veteran
an LBS you trust is a real boon and worth putting some work into finding, I can recall racks and guards that didn't fit, the mechanic in a decent LBS can always make them fit, he's got special screws and bolts and thingies that get the job done, it often saves money and time to ask them first and buy from them, you get their expertise after all

I wouldn't consider the likes of Evans an LBS, the average LBS needs to be encouraged

domtyler

Über Member
Evans are this ===========================> shoot

Find a proper bike shop where the staff know what they are doing and use them. Regularly.

Qualifier, Evans are fine if you are supplying the knowledge and they are supplying the stuff for you to buy off them.

OP
OP
F

fizzy

SKS chromoplastic mudguards are the best imo, though I'm not sure they'll fit on a Sirrus. Someone else will tell you in a minute.

Bar ends -those carbon own-brand Decathlon ones are very nice. I have them on one of my bikes.

Are you saying that the rack was too wide, or the screws?

Both! I think it's just going to be a case of trial and error and finding a good LBS...

Slim

Über Member
The SKS mudguards should fit - I have them on my Sirrus. I don't believe the fittings will differ that much between the D4W version and the regular (macho :angry:) version.

Where abouts are you?? Tell us where you are (roughly) and someone is bound to come along with a shop better than Evan - not difficult to be honest.

HTH

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
fizzy said:
Both! I think it's just going to be a case of trial and error and finding a good LBS...

Ok this is probably a stupid question, but have you checked the LBS thread to see if there is a recommended shop near you? If you tell us roughly where you are maybe someone can suggest a good LBS near you...

Top Bottom