Accident Carbon Bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Yeoda

I hit into the side of a car that turned into my path last Thursday coming home from work. Ended up somersaulting over the bonnet and fracturing 2 bones in my neck, ouch.

Anyway, the bike appears remarkably ok, apart from broken forks. I was riding at approx 20mph, do you think the bike should be repaired or replaced?

The bike is a Boardman team carbon.

ushills

Veteran
I hit into the side of a car that turned into my path last Thursday coming home from work. Ended up somersaulting over the bonnet and fracturing 2 bones in my neck, ouch.

Anyway, the bike appears remarkably ok, apart from broken forks. I was riding at approx 20mph, do you think the bike should be repaired or replaced?

The bike is a Boardman team carbon.
Did you get driver details, speak to a solicitor and pursue through insurance.

boydj

Legendary Member
The bike needs to be assessed by a bike shop. If the hit was hard enough to break the forks, then the head tube and the its joins with top tube and down tube must be suspect. With the personal injuries and the bike damage, you should have a lawyer on the case.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
New frame minimum, which they will say, NEW bike ! See if you can keep the wreck after the claim, and use the components on a new bike. bin the frame/forks and anything bent.

OP
OP
Y

Yeoda

Thanks, a new bike was the hope, not too confident to use the old one again. I will definitely push for the replacement. I do have a lawyer on the case (the 3rd party admitted liability to the police on the scene), I was covered by Total Cycle Assist, through my bike to work.

Just want to get back riding again, hospital said 8 weeks, I should know more when I go back for x-rays next Thursday.

Ouch! Hope you get better soon!

What I'd recommend is taking it back to your local Halfords Store and get them to do a repair report and get the techie to write a report for you and sign it etc to tell you exactly what is wrong with the bike, what would need replacing etc and cost. Once you have that send it to the insurance people and see what they will do about it. If they give you the money for a new team carbon, check out the new 2014 models which are out now (They are SEXY!)

400bhp

Guru
Thanks, a new bike was the hope, not too confident to use the old one again. I will definitely push for the replacement. I do have a lawyer on the case (the 3rd party admitted liability to the police on the scene), I was covered by Total Cycle Assist, through my bike to work.

Just want to get back riding again, hospital said 8 weeks, I should know more when I go back for x-rays next Thursday.

:popcorn:

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
my experience from almost exact circumstances:

got money to buy new bike from insurers to reduce their costs of having to cover costs of driving in while i had no bike.

in the end i got to keep the damaged bike; all that was unusable was the 531 frameset, bars and stem, that cost all of £50 a few years ago.

what i will say is get a good solicitor with experience in the personal injury arena, and if you've got a good relationship with your lbs, get them to assess damage.

Top Bottom