Accident -Southwark Bridge

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sig SilverPrinter

Just saw a cyclist under a cement mixer at the corner of the bridge.
looks like he went straight under between the front wheels , I hope hes ok ,he was on a bianchi.
This has shook me up a bit ,got the shakes and a bit tearful.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Not another.....

Crankarm

Guru
BBC R2 news reporting Southwark Bridge still (with added emphasis) closed due to an "accident" between Upper Thames Street and Southwark Street.

I hope the cyclist is ok or pulls through.

OP
OP
Sig SilverPrinter

Sig SilverPrinter

O said:
Sebastian Lukomski was killed by a HGV at this junction in 2004 and a rider was killed close to this location in 2008:
i remember the Sebastian accident as I was on the bridge when it happened

When I saw it this morning I thought the vehicle hadn't made the turn as it came to a shuddering halt, and had hit the traffic lights.

The 2008 accident I fell off (Chain Broke) right on the corner of Upper Thames Street/Southwark Bridge then there was the accident there 5 days later.

I rarely use the route now as you are mixing it with big vehicles all the time plus the fact I found Southwark Bridge a real pain.I use London Bridge now.Big buses don't seem as bad and Waterloo Bridge coming back.

Flyingfox

I must have arrived at this spot (cnr Lower Thames St & Southwark Bridge) about 5 mins after it happened, and if the cyclist survived it would be a miracle. It's about time something was done at this junction, as there is a cycle lane up to the lights and loads of HGV's due to all the building work - most of which turn left onto Southwark Bridge.

Unfortunately many vehicles never indicate to turn left until the lights go green, and even more unfortunately a lot of cyclists still don't take this into account when approaching stationary traffic at lights. I no longer go alongside any vehicle be it lorry, car or motorbike if the lights are red - much safer to stay at the rear of the vehicle in front.

PK99

Legendary Member
Flyingfox said:
I no longer go alongside any vehicle be it lorry, car or motorbike if the lights are red - much safer to stay at the rear of the vehicle in front.

Very wise - I apply that rule to anything larger than a car, and will only pass a couple of cars if i see the light turn red just in front

Flyingfox said:
I must have arrived at this spot (cnr Lower Thames St & Southwark Bridge) about 5 mins after it happened, and if the cyclist survived it would be a miracle. It's about time something was done at this junction, as there is a cycle lane up to the lights and loads of HGV's due to all the building work - most of which turn left onto Southwark Bridge.

Unfortunately many vehicles never indicate to turn left until the lights go green, and even more unfortunately a lot of cyclists still don't take this into account when approaching stationary traffic at lights. I no longer go alongside any vehicle be it lorry, car or motorbike if the lights are red - much safer to stay at the rear of the vehicle in front.

A wise rule and one I have always followed. Being the holder of an HGV license I can see both sides. If you go up the inside of an HGV or other large vehicle you may not be seen by the driver. Sometimes its due to a blind spot other times simply by the driver not looking.
Dont do it guys, its not worth the risk to save a few seconds.

Origamist

Legendary Member
Crankarm said:
BBC R2 news reporting Southwark Bridge still (with added emphasis) closed due to an "accident" between Upper Thames Street and Southwark Street.

I hope the cyclist is ok or pulls through.

S Bridge is now open again. Hopefully this bodes well.

Top Bottom