Accident -Southwark Bridge

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Is there any update on the cyclist, I've tried looking but don't seem to be able to find it on the BBC News site.

OK so this junction looks to have major problems which probably need more than one approach with removing a left filter lane if there is one, perhaps one of those concave mirrors on the traffic lights and also a sign on approach of the junction warning cyclists not to underake lorries as some of the possible actions. (Note saying this as annoyed upset cyclist wanting these "accidents" to stop rather than a professional highways bod.)

Bigtwin

Twitter says not a fatality. FWIW.

Miquel In De Rain

No Longer Posting
Flyingfox said:
I must have arrived at this spot (cnr Lower Thames St & Southwark Bridge) about 5 mins after it happened, and if the cyclist survived it would be a miracle. It's about time something was done at this junction, as there is a cycle lane up to the lights and loads of HGV's due to all the building work - most of which turn left onto Southwark Bridge.

Unfortunately many vehicles never indicate to turn left until the lights go green, and even more unfortunately a lot of cyclists still don't take this into account when approaching stationary traffic at lights. I no longer go alongside any vehicle be it lorry, car or motorbike if the lights are red - much safer to stay at the rear of the vehicle in front.

So is that what we are assuming what happened here?

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
A few cases have happened where cyclists have died even when they haven't undertaken - the oval case mentioned is one of those. Indeed not undertaking is a wise thing to do but best not to speculate around what happened. There's a general issue with how these things are reported and can also be a case of careless driving.

Hope the person is ok

A few of us are working on a cyclist/HGV campaign - it's under the HGV/Cyclists saftey campaign under campaign and policy forum. Check it out if you're interested.

numbnuts

Legendary Member
She was also taken to the Royal London Hospital suffering from pelvis injuries.
Well that is some relief, speedy recovery to her

scouserinlondon

ttcycle said:
A few cases have happened where cyclists have died even when they haven't undertaken - the oval case mentioned is one of those. Indeed not undertaking is a wise thing to do but best not to speculate around what happened. There's a general issue with how these things are reported and can also be a case of careless driving.

Hope the person is ok

A few of us are working on a cyclist/HGV campaign - it's under the HGV/Cyclists saftey campaign under campaign and policy forum. Check it out if you're interested.

Hi, is there more news on how the Oval accident happened then?

I'm back from holiday so can get cracking on trying to get a truck now too.

Tynan

Veteran
I rode in late today and the number of heavy trucks was absurd coming through Aldgate/Fenchurch/London Bridge, blody things were bumper to bumper, everywhere, proper big ugly tipper type trucks

Origamist

Legendary Member
scouserinlondon said:
Hi, is there more news on how the Oval accident happened then?

I'm back from holiday so can get cracking on trying to get a truck now too.

Not that I am aware of. We'll have to wait for the inquest.

Origamist

Legendary Member
dondare said:

Here's the report from the victim's father:

"The woman that was hit by the cement truck is my daughter. Luckily she only suffered a fractured pelvis. She is a very lucky woman. She often has her 3 year old daughter with her...but didn't this time...Thought everyone would like to know.

I'm in the US and my daughter, husband and daughter live and work in London. She was on her way to work....truck driver never saw her...even after she was under the truck...a witness had to get him to stop. If he hadn't stopped, my daughter would most likely have been killed. Very scary."

Top Bottom