Accident with car: new or used bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
S

stevie_b

Is it a bit different for bicycles though? For a car, you'd go to a dealer and buy a used model. Pretty much all car dealers have lots of used cars on their forecourts, and if you want a particular one, the dealership network for that make can access their computer system to search their network for you. This makes the process practical and doable within a sensible timeframe (not for all cases though, vickster's case for example). For buying a used bike (not the exact make or model, but something pretty similar), you're basically looking at trawling ebay, visitng sellers who are less than truthful about the condition of what they're selling, and buying a bike with no warranty or comeback.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
Is it a bit different for bicycles though? For a car, you'd go to a dealer and buy a used model. Pretty much all car dealers have lots of used cars on their forecourts, and if you want a particular one, the dealership network for that make can access their computer system to search their network for you. This makes the process practical and doable within a sensible timeframe. For buying a used bike (not the exact make or model, but something pretty similar), you're basically looking at trawling ebay, visitng sellers who are less than truthful about the condition of what they're selling, and buying a bike with no warranty or comeback.

It is different for a bike. They will replace the bike with a new one. It's not worth the hassle of chasing down a second hand replacement. It's not cost effective.

vickster

Legendary Member
What bike is it? When mine was stolen I replaced it before the payout and I just banked the cheque from the insurance company. Assuming the driver (through his insurers) has admitted liability, hopefully the process will be fairly painless

mr_cellophane

Legendary Member
Incorrect. They may attempt to fob off the gullible with a trade value, but you're lawfully entitled to be returned to the position you enjoyed prior to the claim, which means they have to pay actual replacement value. Most people aren't registered car dealers, so replacement value will be what the ordinary person has to pay for one at retail or private prices in your region of the country.

My ex wife very kindly wrote off a car for me some years ago. It was a Tuesday.

On the Saturday, three days prior to the crash, I'd agreed and signed a trade-in-deal which valued the car at far higher than either trade or retail prices. The car at the moment of the smack was therefore of far greater value than the price at which it would normally change hands. The small claims sitting of the County Court agreed, and within 10 minutes of walking in I was awarded the agreed trade in value of the car plus legals costs. You're lawfully entitled to be returned to the position you enjoyed prior to the claim, not simply the 'value' of the vehicle - period, as our American cousins say.
Crash for cash is becoming a big problem.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
Incorrect. They may attempt to fob off the gullible with a trade value, but you're lawfully entitled to be returned to the position you enjoyed prior to the claim, which means they have to pay actual replacement value. Most people aren't registered car dealers, so replacement value will be what the ordinary person has to pay for one at retail or private prices in your region of the country.

My ex wife very kindly wrote off a car for me some years ago. It was a Tuesday.

On the Saturday, three days prior to the crash, I'd agreed and signed a trade-in-deal which valued the car at far higher than either trade or retail prices. The car at the moment of the smack was therefore of far greater value than the price at which it would normally change hands. The small claims sitting of the County Court agreed, and within 10 minutes of walking in I was awarded the agreed trade in value of the car plus legals costs. You're lawfully entitled to be returned to the position you enjoyed prior to the claim, not simply the 'value' of the vehicle - period, as our American cousins say.

That was a different situation. For whatever the reason the they gave you a higher value, and you had to go to court as well. Under normal circumstances that would not be the case.

bpsmith

Veteran
I was knocked off my CBR in Sept. They offered £200 less than a number of dealers had similar bikes. One quick call and they matched their prices. 7% extra without any hassle.

Drago

Legendary Member
That was a different situation. For whatever the reason the they gave you a higher value, and you had to go to court as well. Under normal circumstances that would not be the case.

And the court found almost immediately that the insurer was acting unlawfully by not restoring me to my pre-accident position. I've been in court more times than I can remember (mostly as a witness!) but my head span, such was the speed the Judge gave them a verbal slapping and reminded them of their lawful obligation .

Top Bottom