Accidents and incidents

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mile195

Veteran
It depends on what you class as an incident really. I consider myself a competent and reasonable cyclist, but in the year I've been properly road cycling I'd say I've had 3 noteworthy incidents. Small incidents that I don't remember on an iduvidual basis? Many many many more, these probably occur about once or twice every three rides, as a rough estimate.
That said, I find the majority of drivers at least attempt to drive well; most are 'average', many are 'satestfactory' and then there are the ones who are good or great, even those are more common than the bad drivers, in my experience.
This is true. Perhaps if I counted every time I had to briefly hit the brakes because someone was going to pull out, but then didn't for example, there might be more. But in 7 years I've had a mere handful of times when the incident was such that I might have felt the urge to shout profanities and wave my arms around a bit.
In fact, the number of truly, truly bad drivers I encounter these days is easily exceeded now by the number of cyclists that I see doing reckless things (I'm not talking red light and pavement stuff here - I'm talking about filtering through rapidly closing 2 foot gaps between buses, and pulling straight out of side turnings into the path of lorries expecting everyone to stop for them etc). Of course that might not be the same London-wide, but it's what I observe on my route anyhow.

Jdratcliffe

There are two or three specific places on my commute where if I don't take primary then you can almost guarantee a misjudged close pass or pulling in before they are fully past - the worst point on my commute is a blind corner which always has slow moving traffic due to crossroads immediately afterwards. Sadly it routinely happens that taking a good strong primary at these points doesn't eliminate the close pass, it just moves it further up the road where I get punished for looking after my own safety. If I block someone from overtaking on the blind corner (practically every morning and often its the SAME PEOPLE!!) then they "remember" and extract justice further up the road. Even after the queue (where I sail past and can save myself 2 or sometimes 3 full cycles of traffic lights), maybe 5 or even 10 mins later I'll get it eventually. At least the punishment passes are normally on my own terms where I can move left it necessary.

i agree thou had a guy almost drive into a bus trying to get past me when i was in primary and then lay in to me a throw me off my bike... police currently dealing with this :/ so works 99% of the time who just gotta watch your backs

this was minor but in the 4 and a bit years i have been commuting by bike only had 2/3 of theses and one big crash where i wrote the bike off and was off work for few weeks with dislocation and deep cuts and bruising ( about 2 years ago now..)

Last edited:
Top Bottom