accidents can happen

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Whilst I agree that the term accident suggests no fault or blame...it seems to me that sometimes, accidents do happen and collisions can occur that are nobody's...or both bodies faults.

If you were the rider on the old Kent road last night, that came together with a telecom van, I hope your right thigh is not too bruised. You handled it all very well.

I watched the event unfold and even gave out a pathetic and muffled yelp...which stopped nothing. Despite being a rider and feeling like I want to "side"with the cyclist, who was riding really well, it just seemed that both the rider and the driver were equally to blame for the collision.

Very unfortunate, although ultimately not serious and an event that I hope doesn't put the rider or the driver off.

Ps, if it was you...good skills and really good reactions!

al78

Guru
Whilst I agree that the term accident suggests no fault or blame.

Not true. Accident implies there was no deliberate attempt to cause harm, it does not imply that the perpetrator was not careless or didn't make a mistake. When I was hospitalised last year the driver did not deliberately drive into me but he was nevertheless convicted of careless driving.

Sometimes people make mistakes and those mistakes inflict consequences onto others (i.e. there is no such thing as a just world). That does not make those mistakes deliberate and thus they can be classified as accidents.

OP
OP
jonny jeez

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Not true. Accident implies there was no deliberate attempt to cause harm, it does not imply that the perpetrator was not careless or didn't make a mistake. When I was hospitalised last year the driver did not deliberately drive into me but he was nevertheless convicted of careless driving.

Sometimes people make mistakes and those mistakes inflict consequences onto others (i.e. there is no such thing as a just world). That does not make those mistakes deliberate and thus they can be classified as accidents.
In which case, accidents can happen...a lot.

OP
OP
jonny jeez

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Both to blame does not mean it was an accident. It means both were to blame and either could have avoided it if were riding/driving properly.
Indeed, as I say above...both bodies faults.

I do get your point though, its just that the term collision, to me, suggests a single party is to blame whereas accident seems to cover incidents where everyone could be at fault...or no one.

Sara_H

Guru
Indeed, as I say above...both bodies faults.

I do get your point though, its just that the term collision, to me, suggests a single party is to blame whereas accident seems to cover incidents where everyone could be at fault...or no one.
To me the term collision just means that at least two objects have collided. It doesn't infer any blame at all. Whereas the use of the term accident to describe a collision infers that the collision was not a deliberate act, as it occasionally is (DAMHIKT).

Last edited:

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Accidents do happen but they are much much rarer than they are reported to be. I'm struggling to think of any I've seen or even been involved in... possibly the couple where people were surprised by animals could fairly be regarded as accidents, or at least freak collisions (or non-collisions in two cases, actually - one where the rider avoided it at the last minute and one where the deer changed its course).

Maybe one or two of the unexpected ice crashes could be classed as accidents too, where it wasn't obvious that ice was a risk until someone crashed (unlike my own, where I really feel I should have known better, having deliberately kept to gritted roads!)

Probably semantics but to me that's not an accident. It's a collision with equal blame.

However you could suggest that the party most likely to kill should take more care that those that don't.

I should look where I'm going when walking down the street. But the guy juggling chainsaws walking down the street shoukd probsbly take more care. If neither looked properly and my head got chopped off I doubt it would be seen as a 50:50 accident.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Yes accidents do happen.

I came off my bike last year. It was my own fault. I skidded on some loose gravel.

Of course it may not be an accident to some, but my year has been bad enough already, without me prosecuting myself.

sidevalve

Über Member
However you could suggest that the party most likely to kill should take more care that those that don't.
Or that the party most likely to be killed could take more responsibility not to put them selves in danger. At the end of the day using the roads [what we are really referring to here] is a PRIVILEGE not a RIGHT and you earn that privilege by adhering to and taking responsibility for rules and these rules [AND responsibilities] apply to ALL parties and include taking care not to put yourself in danger. Otherwise clearly we must accept that EVERY time a cyclist has any sort of brush with a pedestrian it is ALWAYS the cyclists fault.
As for the the word 'collision' it means just that - two bodies coming into contact and nothing more. What you choose to read into it is up to you and your imagination.