ACE inhibitors

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

martint235

Dog on a bike
So I've just seen the cardiologist. I apparently have thickened walls to my heart and a 24h blood pressure test in Feb revealed BP of 141/90. At the gp on Monday it was 136/84. The cardiologist is surprised that someone who has cycled 1300 miles this year has this issue.

I have no symptoms so when he said he wants me on an ACE inhibitor I have initially refused. SWMBO thinks this is silly. I have reluctantly agreed to discuss it with my GP (we have a very good relationship).

Anyone putting lots of miles in while on this kind of medication? Should I concede or stand my ground?

Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member
Read up on the potential side effects with ACEi, especially cough. And look at the alternatives, I.e. ARB aka AIIA

High BP is commonly asymptomatic so that's not surprising and yours isn't really very high

OP
OP
martint235

martint235

Dog on a bike
He mentioned the cough and said it's about 15% of patients and they'd try something else if that happened.

My discussion with gp will be around side effects and also whether dietary and exercise changes could help. I have to admit my diet is the wrong side of atrocious

Paul Bromley

Hi Vickster ,

I’m on ACE inhibitors.

I had a heart attack and cardiac arrest. Total shock, out of the blue etc. Been cycling years

The put me on a blanket set of drugs, Statins, Diuretics, ACEi and Betablockers

Didn’t have high BP or high cholesterol before, infact I was prone to postural hypotension due to cycling

Initially I wasn’t functioning. BP as low as 95/57, falling over at every opportunity.

GP withdrew the diuretics and over time the ACEi, Beta blockers and Statins have been reduced to their respective lowest therapeutic doses

I returned to biking after a year off, not due to any problems but purely due to promise to wife not to cycle for a year

Luckily, on my return to the saddle I have been cycling with no problems doing just over 2000miles last summer commuting to work. (30mile round trip)

The only side affect I can say I notice is that the statin seem to make my toes feel like they are clawing in the middle of the night

Back to the cycling, I put in a 15 year plus personal best last summer which was a really tonic for me

Clearly some part of my heart died when I had heart attack, and the meds must affect me but I can’t say my cycling shows it up

All I can offer is that side affects may be a function of dosage or I am just lucky
All the best

OP
OP
martint235

martint235

Dog on a bike
3 years ago mine was about the same. I'm not sure how much there is in not cycling much last year and it being a stressful year. Will discuss with doc

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Milk contains a natural ACE inhibitor .... not a lot of people know that ....
I'd give it a go. If you have side effects then go back to the Doc. Far better to have ACE inhibitors than Beta Blockers as I take .... and 2 different Statins. I can do plenty of miles on my meds without issue.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Just off topic now - the milk. Does it have to be full fat for the ACEi effect. I use the stuff that is water passed over a cow er I mean skimmed
It's in the protein fraction so I think it should still be present in Skimmed -milk .... though it's a long while since I worked on that project ....
There's a lot of heavy papers on the internet.

OP
OP
martint235

martint235

Dog on a bike
I believe the cough does go if you stop.

I'm hopefully not coming across as stroppy, I respect the cardiologist and his opinion. I also realise my GP isn't a heart expert but between the two of us we are experts in me.

The issue or worry to me is I cycle long distances. My heart delivers oxygen on demand to the muscles and I'm just wary of anything that affects that function

Top Bottom