ACE inhibitors

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
I'm sure many of the Novo Nordisk pro team are taking BP meds and others, maybe do some research around them?

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I've been on an ACE inhibitor (Ramipril) for four years, as well as statins and other cholesterol reducing drugs. I ride about four and a half thousand miles each year, mainly commuting. I've had absolutely no adverse side-effects at all. I used to be opposed to long-term medication but I have no objections at all to it now. If you have problems with the drugs that you are prescribed, your GP can find alternatives, or you yourself can decide to stop. Personally, I would give it a shot and see how it goes. Good luck.

Also been on Ramipril for years (since 2003 ) plus Beta-blockers (Bisoprolol) since 2007 and have been riding Audax for the last 4 years and have had no problems riding distances up to 1400 km , this year I'm going for a RRTY , SR and riding the 2100 km Wild Atlantic way Audax in June so for me at least , the medication has caused no obvious problems . I did rather foolishly stop taking the tablets a few days before the Old 240 400km Audax in 2014 as I thought they might be effecting my performance and promptly passed out at the side of the road whilst climbing towards Yad Moss from Alston :blush: though that was the Beta blockers , never a good idea to stop taking them without some sort of medical guidance.

Paul

OP
OP
martint235

martint235

Dog on a bike
Thanks for all the advice. So it appears I have nothing to lose if I manage to avoid the side effects in particular the cough.

Don't suppose it aids with weight loss? :smile:

djmc

Über Member
Round here (France) Irbesartan alias Aprovel seem to be the antihypertensives usually used. They work in a slightly different way (they are angiotensin blockers rather than inhibitors) and don't seem to exacerbate a cough in the same way. I take them and don't have any side effects.

OP
OP
martint235

martint235

Dog on a bike
So a quick update. I agreed to go on Ramipril. I'd been on it about two weeks before my first big bike ride. I got 80 miles in and everything cramped up and I had to bail. On subsequent rides I had to carefully manage the cramps until I hit on the bright idea of taking painkillers at the half way stops which isn't ideal but was a surprisingly effective workaround.

Anyway I had my review with the cardiologist and I'm now on Candesartan. There was no argument, I explained the cramps and he switched me straight away. Got a century on Saturday and will see how it goes

Yorksman

ACE inhibitors contain a modified molecule found in Pit Viper Venom. This venom from this snake will cause its prey to collapse because of the sudden drop in blood pressure. I've been on them for 14 years now and have developed a great appetite for the humble dormouse.

The problem with uncontrolled high blood pressure is that it can damage your heart wall. It loses it's elasticity and doesn't eject enough blood at each contraction, with a result of lack of oxygenation. Prolonged high BP can be serious so don't just think you can live with it.

Last edited:

Yorksman

I'm hopefully not coming across as stroppy, I respect the cardiologist and his opinion. I also realise my GP isn't a heart expert but between the two of us we are experts in me.

The issue or worry to me is I cycle long distances. My heart delivers oxygen on demand to the muscles and I'm just wary of anything that affects that function

Ask your GP for a referral for a 'GP Echogram'. A cardiologist would get these done as standard but GPs can order them too. The report by the technician will give the GP all the info he or she needs and recommend further action or referral to a cardiologist if required.

All it is is an ultrasound recording of your heart beating, like those fetal monitors, some cold gel and a soft pad but it will tell you if your heart is pumping enough blood with each beat.

OP
OP
martint235

martint235

Dog on a bike
Ask your GP for a referral for a 'GP Echogram'. A cardiologist would get these done as standard but GPs can order them too. The report by the technician will give the GP all the info he or she needs and recommend further action or referral to a cardiologist if required.

All it is is an ultrasound recording of your heart beating, like those fetal monitors, some cold gel and a soft pad but it will tell you if your heart is pumping enough blood with each beat.
Yep had one of those. That's what finally showed up that the irregular heartbeat had been a temporary thing.

Top Bottom