ACH The Way to the Sea 2022

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Chap sur le velo

Über Member
Will decide after Ride London- if places are still open. mmmm.

The two biggest climbs come at about 130 and 160 KMS!

OP
OP
Dogtrousers

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Will decide after Ride London- if places are still open. mmmm.

The two biggest climbs come at about 130 and 160 KMS!

The first of those two (over the Downs south of Chatham) is very gentle. On average it's only just over 1% but it does last for 10km or so. It will just soften you up and weaken your legs for when you meet the second one. Bam! Birling hill! That is a real pig of a climb. Not forgetting the climb out of Eynsford after 180km. I'm thinking that by that point I may have to walk a bit.

adamski

Veteran
Hello

I am the organiser and great to see people are already entering, although I very much doubt it'll be full before Ride London happens @Chap sur le velo

This is the second time I've run this event and there'll be more food on offer. @Trickedem will be running a control at Grain with food & drinks, and again there'll be loads of food on offer at Minister.

Yes, the two biggest climbs happen in the latter part of the ride but it is pretty flat up until that point. You'll notice Shooters Hill leaving Greenwich and there's a gradual climb up to Meopham, but I'm always surprised that the downhill towards Higham is so long. The first passing of the North Downs (~135 km onwards) is gradual, the profile makes it lot worse. Again there's a good downhill reward afterwards. Birling Hill is the worst after Snodland (161 km) and the a smaller kick leaving Eynsford. The final approach to London along the old A20 is gradually downhill. Last year there were people finishing this event who'd never done a 200 km ride before.

Route is here for anyone that has not seen it already: http://tiny.cc/hyaquz

adamski

Veteran
The route has been checked and brevet cards have been ordered.

Knatts Valley road is closed, which means after West Kingsdown I'm having to send riders down the A20 for a few kilometers. I'll be sending out an email to all riders tomorrow or Thursday once I know whether or not I can send riders down Donkey Lane to avoid 1½ km of the aforementioned A20 section.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
The route has been checked and brevet cards have been ordered.

Knatts Valley road is closed, which means after West Kingsdown I'm having to send riders down the A20 for a few kilometers. I'll be sending out an email to all riders tomorrow or Thursday once I know whether or not I can send riders down Donkey Lane to avoid 1½ km of the aforementioned A20 section.

Hi Adam
The A20 from the Wrotham roundabout down to the Farningham roundabout is great for cycling. Nice and wide. However, as cycling speeds will be quite high, turning off the A20 into Donkey Lane might be a little troublesome for some, it can also be pretty grubby and gravelly. I would just advise that if they do miss the DL turn off that they continue down the A20 and do a left at the RAB

OP
OP
Dogtrousers

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
It's going to be tough for me to finish this. I have to ride quite near my home on the way to the last control. The temptation to bail with a few km to go will be great.

Ajax Bay

Guru
Well just give in to the temptation! Are you riding this for fun or not?

adamski

Veteran
Hi Adam
The A20 from the Wrotham roundabout down to the Farningham roundabout is great for cycling. Nice and wide. However, as cycling speeds will be quite high, turning off the A20 into Donkey Lane might be a little troublesome for some, it can also be pretty grubby and gravelly. I would just advise that if they do miss the DL turn off that they continue down the A20 and do a left at the RAB

Cheers Ian, that's really useful to know.

I may just leave things as they stand and send everyone down the A20 to Faringham with the option to turn left onto Donkey Lane if they prefer.

adamski

Veteran
It's going to be tough for me to finish this. I have to ride quite near my home on the way to the last control. The temptation to bail with a few km to go will be great.

Hopefully nice summer evening sat in Greenwich with a beet chatting with other riders will encourage you to complete the ride!

adamski

Veteran
I've just had confirmation that the Knatt's Valley road has just been re-opened. Whoop! No need for the A20 option.

Rider email has now been sent out.

adamski

Veteran
Please could anyone who's entered but now cannot ride let me know. It makes life a lot easier as an organiser and I have a few people interested in entering.
Thank you.

Top Bottom