ACH The Way to the Sea 2022

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Dogtrousers

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Well officially that was a failure, because I DNFd, but unofficially I had a great day's cycling.

The day started badly when I checked my rack bag at the start and realised I'd left my wallet at home. I made my way to the first control via home to pick up my wallet and improvised a route to the first control, which added some extra distance. I suspect I may have pushed a bit too hard with all the stress and confusion of this.

The route was lovely and conditions were great except for a couple of soul-destroying headwind sections on the (very flat) Hoo Peninsula and Isle of Sheppey

After Sheppey, at about 140km I had a collapse of energy and also painful feet. I had to keep stopping to try to recover. On a 100 miler I'd just push through this as it would be nearly over, but on a 200k it eats the soul.

Things got better after a garage stop for two coffees and a bottle refill. I positively flew up Birling Hill, powered partly by coffee and partly by my decision to cut the ride short.

Train home from Eynsford. Total for the day, including riding to the start and detour to pick up wallet: 198km.

Last edited:

adamski

Guru
Hello all

Apart from a few mishaps it sounds like everyone had a great day on Saturday. This was the second time the event has run and I feel it was even better than last time with more riders, including a much higher female representation, food stops at Grain & Minster and a better route up to the first checkpoint. Everyone was forced to visit the sea front in Grain rather than turning at the Co-op. Plus there was a doggy at the control this year
thumbsup.gif

Last year I had people doing this as their first audax and this year some of these riders were back having done an SR series or were preparing to ride LEL. So next year I look forward to hearing of people who are about to head off to Paris for PBP!

Pending results are here: http://www.aukweb.net/results/archive/2022/listevent/?Ride=22-485 The brevet cards need to be sent off validation (as it was a BRM ride) and I will then get the cards posted back to riders.

OP
OP
Dogtrousers

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Last year I had people doing this as their first audax and this year some of these riders were back having done an SR series or were preparing to ride LEL. So next year I look forward to hearing of people who are about to head off to Paris for PBP!
On the same theme of self improvement I'll try to actually make it to the finish next year.

adamski

Guru
The 2023 edition has been added to the AUK calendar for Saturday 1 July, tho I won't allow entries until after Easter. (The earlier people enter the more likely they'll be a DNS.)

@Trickedem will, hopefully, be free and willing to do his fab catering at Grain. And there'll be loads of food at Minister too👍

Trickedem

Guru
The 2023 edition has been added to the AUK calendar for Saturday 1 July, tho I won't allow entries until after Easter. (The earlier people enter the more likely they'll be a DNS.)

@Trickedem will, hopefully, be free and willing to do his fab catering at Grain. And there'll be loads of food at Minister too👍

It's in the calendar

Top Bottom