Aches and Pains after Cycling

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

iamRayRay

Quads of Steel
Hi All,

Having been on a 55 mile bike ride and a 45 mile bike ride last week and yesterday respectively. I find I have a few additional niggles that affect me the following days.

They consist of the below:
- Sometimes bottom of right foot cramps up or is sore, lesser so lately on my last few rides.
- Knees and ankles seem very sore or weak and tight the following day.

I do also play hockey and in the off season get on my bike and know I certainly don't stretch enough!

Suggestions?

vickster

Legendary Member
Stretch more ;) warm up and warm down

Knees and ankles likely bike position
And/or conditioning
Or muscle imbalance. If you have quads of steel as you say it maybe an issue with other muscles, calves, glutes, ITB

I expect the foot thing is down to shoes / cleats

screenman

Legendary Member
Of course like rest of us do I know you use your foam roller every day^_^

Why do people know they should stretch, but do not do it? So easy to get into the habit, and the benefits are many.

OP
OP
iamRayRay

iamRayRay

Quads of Steel
Looks like I may have to get a bike fit, alternatively could be a youtube and trial / error DIY job.

Have you all had bike fits? Going to have to save the pennies

vickster

Legendary Member
Looks like I may have to get a bike fit, alternatively could be a youtube and trial / error DIY job.

Yes but only really because I have lots of Orthopaedic issues, some of which would likely be eased by stretching. And i dithered about it for ages while I came to terms with spending the pennies

Try DIY fit first, I did a bit but ultimately I have more money than patience and know how :biggrin:

Also get into stretching all your leg muscles, daily won't hurt

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next

No, I just have some irritating rides when I get a new bike, stopping every half mile or so to adjust something with a spanner or Allen key! Get the saddle positioned so legs are not quite straight and hips aren't rocking, then move bars around until they're in the way of the front hub as I look, then tweak the bar rotation, brake position and so on.

e-rider

crappy member

no, not everyone has had a bike fit. Newcomers to the sport seem happy to pay £150+ for someone to put their saddle up and back by 2mm as well as suggesting to get a slightly shorter stem - however, most people can easily do that themselves! On the otherhand, if you really have no clue as to what is a good position and what isn't, then a bike fit could be helpful.

OP
OP
iamRayRay

iamRayRay

Quads of Steel
Stretching a lot more this week, before my weekend ride (weather dependant) so will let you guys know.

I'd love the idea of a bike fit, but for YouTube and someone else watching me in order to get the position right, I think I can cut some corners.

Thanks for all the advice

Custom24

Über Member
After a harder or longer effort than what I am used to, I have a hot bath asap. Works for me.

Ed Phelan

Baths are always a great idea to help the aches and pains. Bit unconventional, but I also find eating chocolate helps me too. Don't follow that advice though, pretty sure that's the result of a brain defect or something similar.

Mike!

Guru
I had a bike fit a couple of months ago, not using any system just a tape measure and a man with lots of experience. It has removed the pain from my lower back after a 30 mile + ride so for me was well worth the £40.

Top Bottom