Aches and Pains am I just unfit or is my set up bad?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

T675Rich

How do I know if my aches and pains are just down to being unfit or I have a bad set up? I know there is a wealth of information online but I am finding myself a little overwhelmed by it all.

I get pins and needles on my left foot and the inside of my thighs just behind my knees hurts a bit on hills but it doesn't last when I am not on the bike, I was hoping this would get better as I rode more but I am making no progress at the moment. I was looking at a bike fit but it seems quite over the top seeing as I cycle about 20miles a week..

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Check your fit yourself. See the set up guide on www.wheel-easy.org.uk

vickster

Legendary Member
Maybe a delicate question but how much do you weigh?
Do you have any health issues or joint problems?
What bike are you riding?
Are you clipped in?
Flats? What sort of shoes?
How long have you been cycling?

12boy

Guru
I have learned that many people like to have the saddle low enough that the leg isn't extended on the downstroke. I prefer to have the saddle high enough so my heel barely reaches the pedal when it is all the way down. That may not work for you but it is an easy and cheap fix if it does. Riding with the seat too low seems to me like walking in a crouch.

CXRAndy

Guru
Learn how to set up a bike, mainly seat height, angle of seat and aft/forward position in relation to bottom bracket.

The other position is reach to handlebars and height

OP
OP
T675Rich

T675Rich

Maybe a delicate question but how much do you weigh?
Do you have any health issues or joint problems?
What bike are you riding?
Are you clipped in?
Flats? What sort of shoes?
How long have you been cycling?

I'm a hefty 20st
I ride a Canondale CX4 quick Hybrid
I am clipped in, I tried them as I needed new trainers to cycle in and a collegue said he finds it more comfortable, I do find them comfortable.
Cycling a couple of days a week for just over a year.

My seat is quite high and I have to tiptoe to get both feet down although I generally keep my left foot clipped and lean a bit when I am stationary.

The LBS said my legs were most likely hurting as I am new to cycling.

As I am stupid I lose confidence when following half the guides which is why I was contemplating getting a professional to do it.

vickster

Legendary Member
I'm a hefty 20st
I am clipped in, I tried them as I needed new trainers to cycle in and a collegue said he finds it more comfortable, I do find them comfortable.

My seat is quite high and I have to tiptoe to get both feet down although I generally keep my left foot clipped and lean a bit when I am stationary.

As I am stupid I lose confidence when following half the guides which is why I was contemplating getting a professional to do it.
If you can afford it, go for it. I’ve had fits from 2 physios and one Retul at a bike shop. The latter was half as good and twice as much! Try to find a physio who does bike assessments, they can check your muscle strength and muscle balance, knee pain is often a result of a mismatch between different sets of muscles

Unfortunately, your weight won’t be helping your knees especially when trying to get up hills. Are you spinning in the lowest gear or grinding up them?

Have you tried putting your saddle down a bit? Have you tried adjusting your cleats?

I’d think if you’ve been doing 50 miles a week for a year, you should be conditioned to cycling. So something is clearly amiss

OP
OP
T675Rich

T675Rich

If you can afford it, go for it. I’ve had fits from 2 physios and one Retul at a bike shop. The latter was half as good and twice as much! Try to find a physio who does bike assessments, they can check your muscle strength and muscle balance, knee pain is often a result of a mismatch between different sets of muscles

Unfortunately, your weight won’t be helping your knees especially when trying to get up hills. Are you spinning in the lowest gear or grinding up them?

Have you tried putting your saddle down a bit? Have you tried adjusting your cleats?

I’d think if you’ve been doing 50 miles a week for a year, you should be conditioned to cycling. So something is clearly amiss

I generally lower the gear rather than try and power up hills as I don't feel my legs can cope with grinding up hills as I seem to reach an exhaustion limit quickly.

My saddle was lower when I got it from the lbs and I raised it about a cm which helped a little or seemed to.

I am only doing 20miles per week, probably less on average, I have done 917.5 miles on this bike according to garmin.

vickster

Legendary Member
I generally lower the gear rather than try and power up hills as I don't feel my legs can cope with grinding up hills as I seem to reach an exhaustion limit quickly.

My saddle was lower when I got it from the lbs and I raised it about a cm which helped a little or seemed to.

I am only doing 20miles per week, probably less on average, I have done 917.5 miles on this bike according to garmin.
Ah I read as 20 miles a ride.
I get aches and pains too thanks to arthritis in a few joints. Hence the physio bike fits as they have a thorough knowledge of anatomy (unlike an average bike shop fitter).

What other exercise do you do?
Are you trying to address your weight?
Can you go further / for longer on flatter routes?

OP
OP
T675Rich

T675Rich

Ah I read as 20 miles a ride.
I get aches and pains too thanks to arthritis in a few joints. Hence the physio bike fits as they have a thorough knowledge of anatomy (unlike an average bike shop fitter).

What other exercise do you do?
Are you trying to address your weight?
Can you go further / for longer on flatter routes?

No, it's about 5 miles a ride. At the moment I do very little and I am trying to lose weight but failing at the moment, my will power is shite. I have never tried to go much further I suspect I could with fewer hills.

I'm a hefty 20st

If you can reach the ground with the tips of your toes while sat on the saddle, then your saddle is still too low. Your feet should swing several inches above the ground when not on the pedals, even with pointed toes.

When you are about to come to a stop, unclip both feet, and then slide forward off the saddle to put your feet on the ground.

Pins and needles are indicative of something stopping adequate circulation when you're on the bike - which is something which will happen if the saddle is too low. You're only really meant to balance / perch on the saddle, not sit on it. Most of the weight should be taken by your legs and hands.

If the saddle is too low, it puts pressure on soft tissue, hence the pins & needles.

Having said that, fitness *is* a factor here too. If your legs get tired, you will end up putting more weight on the saddle, which will also lead to pins and needles. We've all been there. But seeings that you're not cycling that far, I'd say the first is more likely, although I wouldn't discount the second.

For extra fitness, maybe some brisk walking will help mix it up some.

boydj

Legendary Member
I'd agree with the saddle being a touch low. You are possibly also trying a bit too hard for your level of fitness. Make good use of the gears on the hills to spin your way up them. If you could get out a bit more often or make your rides a little bit longer your fitness should improve a bit as long as you keep cycling regularly.

Top Bottom