Aches and Pains am I just unfit or is my set up bad?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
He maybe 9ft tall.
Maybe...unlikely as he can only tiptoe on a normal bike not a penny farthing :laugh:

CXRAndy

Guru
There is a simple method go get your saddle within a few mm of spot on. Wearing your cycle shoes. Place the pedal crank at bottom of rotation. Place one heel on pedal. Your leg and knee should be straight and knee in the point of locking out. This position will when clipped in set correct knee extension when pedalling.

From this position, mark the seat post. Now ride the bike, if it still feels uncomfortable raise the seat by no more than 5mm. Try riding again to assess.

Soltydog

Legendary Member
If you can reach the ground with the tips of your toes while sat on the saddle, then your saddle is still too low. Your feet should swing several inches above the ground when not on the pedals, even with pointed toes.
You sure about that, feet swinging several inches off the ground with pointed toes? Since a kid I've worked on the theory of being able to touch your tip toes on the ground from the saddle & it's served me well. I've had 3 bike fits in recent years & my saddle height has only changed by 2 or 3mm & I can still touch the ground with tip toes on my left (my right leg is slightly shorter :sad:)

Milzy

Guru
I'm a hefty 20st
I ride a Canondale CX4 quick Hybrid
I am clipped in, I tried them as I needed new trainers to cycle in and a collegue said he finds it more comfortable, I do find them comfortable.
Cycling a couple of days a week for just over a year.

My seat is quite high and I have to tiptoe to get both feet down although I generally keep my left foot clipped and lean a bit when I am stationary.

The LBS said my legs were most likely hurting as I am new to cycling.

As I am stupid I lose confidence when following half the guides which is why I was contemplating getting a professional to do it.
If you don't want to pay for a pro fit you could watch all the YouTube videos & watch yourself pedal a turbo in a mirror to see if you're at least in the ball Park area.

Shearwater Missile

Über Member
As @CXRAndy mentioned earlier about seat fore and aft and angle. These two are as important as saddle height IMO. Have you got the saddle at KOPS ( knee of pedal spindle) at the 3 o`clock position and the saddle level ? These are of course starting points the same as saddle height. The important thing to remember though is to adjust one thing at a time and then try it. Otherwise you won`t know what made the difference. I think that if you are more comfortable on the bike, fitness will improve and you will loose weight.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
It's possible to overthink these things, I've had pins and needles in a foot before and then 5 or so miles later it's gone.

I think while you're at the stage where you're only riding 5 miles, I'd focus on (1) being reasonably right position wise, and (2) aiming to ride a bit more each time. Do some walking too. Yes it's important to be about right with your position on the bike, but 20 stone is a lot on a saddle and that's a more likely issue than whether your saddle is 2cm too far aft.

You shouldn't need a professional bike fit at this stage. Ride the bike more, walk more.

johnnyb47

Guru
Its probably a combination of the both. If you're new to cycling, even a bike that's adjusted to your needs may feel uncomfortable if you cycle further than your fitness allows. Cycle well within your limits to begin with and focus on whats causing you discomfort. If you feel your saddle needs lifting or lowering, only adjust it in small increments( 1/4 " at a time). With each ride note if things feel better. It took me a long time to get my bike just right comfort wise.
Also the more you ride over the weeks, you will become more bike fit and some of the aches and pains will naturally subside.
It takes time and effort to get things perfect but once you've found that sweet spot you will then feel more confident in venturing further afield.
As for knee pain try to spin the peddles on climbs and not grind your way up. I've learnt the hard way in the past that pushing a to hard a gear at low cadence does your knees no favours at all.
Most of all though, don't over do things with your new fresh enthusiasm for cycling. Keep the rides within your limits and you will come back home enjoying it and looking forward to the next ride. With time, the miles will naturally increase as your body gets fitter.
All the best to you buddy 👍

Last edited:
You sure about that, feet swinging several inches off the ground with pointed toes? Since a kid I've worked on the theory of being able to touch your tip toes on the ground from the saddle & it's served me well. I've had 3 bike fits in recent years & my saddle height has only changed by 2 or 3mm & I can still touch the ground with tip toes on my left (my right leg is slightly shorter :sad:)

Well, it is the case for me - I'm a good two or three inches off being able to touch my toes down on the ground when I'm in the saddle. And yes, my bikes are the right size for me and are fitted correctly.

Maybe it's because I'm 4ft 11 with a 27 inch inside leg and size 4 feet... But maybe not. Everyone is individual, and what works for me might not work for you etc. ;)

It's just that beginners always assume that they must be able to touch the ground with their feet when in the saddle, and that's not necessarily the case. It's more important to get saddle height right with respect to where the pedals are. :smile:

CXRAndy

Guru
Unless the bike has a very low bottom bracket height and long crank arms or big feet, when seated you should not be able to have your feet touch the ground.

I hear what you are saying about feet touching the ground, but its only a pointer to correct saddle height.

The only critical measurement is saddle to pedal

OP
OP
T675Rich

T675Rich

Thanks all, I will try a few of the tips here before I fork out. I am also planning to get back out and do something like the c25k again to help shift the weight and improve my fitness. I generally do spin up hills, I spend a lot of time in my lowest gear.

He maybe 9ft tall.

Unfortunately not, only 6ft.

Thedane

Regular
I agree with some of the comments above, that it sounds like your saddle height could have something to do with your problems and it would probably not be a bad idea to try and increase the height. Do it in small increments though and try for a few rides after each adjustment. I don't think it will be the magic solution though as you are only riding 20 miles per week, I believe your fitness and adaptation to the bike has also something to do with it. If possible start riding more both in length and frequency as this should help with both fitness and weight but don't overdo it, take is slowly and hopefully you will start to enjoy your riding more.

I also get it that trying to set up your own bike without prior knowledge can be a bit daunting but there are many useful guides online which can help. Reading your comments though, it sounds like you are not comfortable doing this, which is totally understandable as there are many aspects to consider and you may be better off seeking help from a physio or a reputable bike fitter.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I thought that you must be wrong but I just checked my position on my singlespeed bike... When propped up in a doorway I can just touch the ground with the very tips of my extended toes. I wouldn't be able to do it if I were not supporting my weight with the door frame. To touch the ground enough to actually balance I would have to slide sideways on the saddle but would not be able to get whole foot down unless I leaned the bike over somewhat.

As people have indicated above, this isn't the way to determine saddle height but it certainly suggests that anybody being able to get their feet planted on the ground while sat on the saddle has it way too low.

the snail

Guru
If you're getting numbness in your feet, first thing I'd look at is cleats - make sure the cleats are slightly forward of the pedal spindle. If the cleats are set too far to the toe of the shoe you end up clenching your toes. You might want to adjust the angle of the cleat too, if your feet naturally point outwards/inwards. Once you have the cleats right, then get the saddle adjusted.

Top Bottom