Achey Feet

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave G

Now, this could be a function of the ageing process.......but at 33 years, I hope not!

I've suffered in recent months from achey feet when I wake in the morning. The first few paces when out of bed are more of a hobble as the soles of my feet refuse to start working. After a while, they 'warm up' and away I go.

Since May, I've increased the frequency of my riding and have been commuting 37 miles (2x18m), 3 times a week and then doing a 3+ hour ride on the weekend - so about 9 or 10 hours ride time a week. My cycle shoes have very stiff soles in them and often my feet ache after a long ride.

Would cod liver oil or glucosamine be likely to help? Is this a problem any of you have/do suffer with?

col

Legendary Member
I have a similar thing when i rise in the morning,but i put it down to my just a little excess weight than anything else.

longers

Legendary Member
I don't suffer with that but have been taking cod liver oil for a couple of years now and it seems to keep me nicely lubricated joint wise. I can't give you any advice on your feet though.

skwerl

Dave G said:
Now, this could be a function of the ageing process.......but at 33 years, I hope not!

I've suffered in recent months from achey feet when I wake in the morning. The first few paces when out of bed are more of a hobble as the soles of my feet refuse to start working. After a while, they 'warm up' and away I go.

Since May, I've increased the frequency of my riding and have been commuting 37 miles (2x18m), 3 times a week and then doing a 3+ hour ride on the weekend - so about 9 or 10 hours ride time a week. My cycle shoes have very stiff soles in them and often my feet ache after a long ride.

Would cod liver oil or glucosamine be likely to help? Is this a problem any of you have/do suffer with?

sounds like it's muscular to me. Probably cos you've increased mileage

Orthotics may well help. you can get DIY ones or pay to have them fitted. Conformable are the ones Cyclefit in London use. They need to be cycle specific though. Running or skiing orthotics are no good (at least not ideal anyway)

Plantar fasciitis

http://www.drfoot.co.uk/heel pain.htm

"A sudden increase in walking or a sporting activity can also be a contributing factor."

I've had it. It's a bugger, but easily solved in my case by extra stretching of the calf muscles.

Cod liver oil won't help.

Orthotics may help in that they'll better support the foot. Try the stretching exercises in the link first though.

vorsprung

Veteran
I arrived at Mortagne-au-Perche at approx 3am. This was approx 1000km and 75 hours into a very wet Paris Brest Paris. When I got off the bike, I noticed that I could barely walk. My feet were a mass of sores. The rain had softened the soles of my feet. I gingerly removed my socks. My feet were disgusting. I binned the socks. After some food, I found an unoccupied spot near the wall in the caffiteria area. Before passing out in my sleeping bag liner I rubbed sudocream into the soles of my feet. I always carry this on long rides to coat my backside. When I woke up, the cream and the warmth of the bag had dried out my feet and the sores weren't anywhere near as bad. I put on my last pair of clean socks, hoped that the cold that had come on it the night woudln't hold me up and left. I made it back to Paris inside the time limit.

domtyler

Über Member
Have you tried getting your toes sucked? Obviously you need an understanding wife/partner or a few quid tucked away, but it should help to sort it out.

skwerl

vorsprung said:
I arrived at Mortagne-au-Perche at approx 3am. This was approx 1000km and 75 hours into a very wet Paris Brest Paris. When I got off the bike, I noticed that I could barely walk. My feet were a mass of sores. The rain had softened the soles of my feet. I gingerly removed my socks. My feet were disgusting. I binned the socks. After some food, I found an unoccupied spot near the wall in the caffiteria area. Before passing out in my sleeping bag liner I rubbed sudocream into the soles of my feet. I always carry this on long rides to coat my backside. When I woke up, the cream and the warmth of the bag had dried out my feet and the sores weren't anywhere near as bad. I put on my last pair of clean socks, hoped that the cold that had come on it the night woudln't hold me up and left. I made it back to Paris inside the time limit.

Ahh. Audax. I'm surprised more people don't take it up after that wee story ;)

Top Bottom