Achilles Pain

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dhd.evans

Veteran
I swapped from 2x11 road bike to road singlespeed for the winter (actually precipitated by an off where i dislocated my shoulder but that's another story).

I've been getting a niggling pain in my left Achilles tendon when riding which, on dismount, turns into a proper crippling pain on walking. The kind where you wince on planting your foot and are conscious of this throbbing, aching sensation throughout the day.

Anyone had similar experiences swapping from gears to singlespeed? If so, how the hell did you solve it?

U

User6179

Is your foot/cleats and seat height in the same position as your road bike, I had a sore Achilles for a few years because of overuse walking hundreds of miles and it only came back on the bike when I had my cleats to far forward on my shoes, lowering the seat a few mm and pushing the cleats back on the shoes sorted it out straight away.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: mjr

lazyfatgit

No comment on the swap. I had niggling pain which wasn’t improving with time and I just carried on. Ended up with a complete rupture of the Achilles whilst playing squash. I’ve no doubt that the accumulated damage contributed to the rupture.

Rest up, get some anti inflammatory and see your GP.

Heigue'r

Veteran
I had a week off the bike last week due to achilles problems.The week before I had raised the saddle so as this was the only change,ive put it down to this and perhaps a combination of wearing shorts on a 0deg morning commute.Stretches have helped alot.Its my right leg and still a bit delicate so the left is overworking but cant face another day on the tube.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Are both your cleats in the same position on the shoes and have you been taking any drugs like ciprofloxacin? You are suffering from achilles tendinitis caused by over-use. A buddy of mine got it on both sides on a cycling tour on a brand new bike and I got it walking in the Alps with my boots too tight thanks to swollen feet at the end of a long day. The cure is to take it easy, i.e. stop stressing it by heaving on a singlespeed and get back to the lighter loads of a geared bike, rub on Ibuprofen gel three times a day and perhaps ice it as well with frozen peas. When I got it on one side, Ibuprofen hadn't been invented so I made it through an entire summer of mountain guiding by keeping my boot really soft with lard and keeping my laces slack.

OP
OP
dhd.evans

dhd.evans

Veteran
Is your foot/cleats and seat height in the same position as your road bike, I had a sore Achilles for a few years because of overuse walking hundreds of miles and it only came back on the bike when I had my cleats to far forward on my shoes, lowering the seat a few mm and pushing the cleats back on the shoes sorted it out straight away.

This is a good question; cleats are in the same position as I literally just swapped the pedals over. The frame is a different size though, i've gone from a B'Twin 58" to a Pinnacle 52". Both frames fit me fine but i do wonder if the seat height on the Pinnacle is pulling my tendon. Will lower it and give it a bash.

Do you stretch?
Seen a Physio perchance?

I've been out of the gym since the off about 3 weeks ago so i've been stretching less. I'm hoping to get back to light gym work this week. I was doing a good regimen of squats, core and lifts so was building up my leg strength with endurance/max squats. It could be that but i wont' know until i'm back doing full gym work.

I agree with @Eddy. Also, a shoulder dislocation may have changed your riding position enough to cause pain. Work through the measurement process and see if it comes out the same. http://wheel-easy.org.uk/uploads/documents/Bike Set Up 2017a.pdf might be a start.

The shoulder dislocation has resolved itself, thankfully. The off caused some weakening of the tendons around my rotator cuff and 'pop' out it came on certain movements - i took 5 days or so off the bike and let it heal up. I'm wearing a support around the joint as well so it should be in place and not causing issue. In some ways i'm using my shoulders more as i'm pulling out of junctions/traffic lights on the singlespeed.

The cure is to take it easy, i.e. stop stressing it by heaving on a singlespeed and get back to the lighter loads of a geared bike, rub on Ibuprofen gel three times a day and perhaps ice it as well with frozen peas.

The Ortho chap who saw me with the dislocating shoulder said to me "I'm a cyclist too. I'm going to tell you not to get back on the bike for at least 6 weeks but lets accept that that's not likely to happen". This advice is absolutely solid and sensible but, as the good bone fellow said, it's not likely to happen :biggrin:

Top Bottom