Acid reflux on hard rides - anybody tried Ranitidine (Zantac)?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Globalti

Legendary Member
I get acid reflux when doing a short hard ride. Ordinary antacids work well if I remember to take one before setting off and after stopping at the pub *cough* for a recovery drink a couple of miles before the end of the ride.

However a cycling buddy has recommended Ranitidine, which apparently can now be bought OTC but I've checked the possible side-effects and feel a bit frightened by what I read.

Any experience by anybody on here?

vickster

Legendary Member
If it's a problem other than occasionally while cycling, perhaps speak to your GP about omeprazole? I take it as I'm taking anti inflammatories (and currently steroids) so to protect my stomach but I get pretty much zero heartburn (and no side effects)

OP
OP
Globalti

Globalti

Legendary Member
I think Omeprazole is a permanent treatment whereas Ranitidine can be taken as a short-term preventitive just prior to a ride? I'm reluctant to start taking long-term medication when the problem only arises with strenuous exercise leaning forward.

arch684

Veteran
I have used ranitidine in the past for acid reflux,they work well.Buy the cheap ones from asda they are exactly the same.

vickster

Legendary Member
I think Omeprazole is a permanent treatment whereas Ranitidine can be taken as a short-term preventitive just prior to a ride? I'm reluctant to start taking long-term medication when the problem only arises with strenuous exercise leaning forward.
Not permanent, I only need while taking the NSAID daily. I don't have GERD ordinarily

You can buy Nexium OTC. I think now, which would suggest it can be used short term. Zantac is probably a better short term solution though

campagman

Guru
The only time that I get indigestion is when cycling. I put it down to diet so try to avoid simple carbs (white bread, etc) especially at cafe stops. Works for me.

winjim

Smash the cistern
I get acid reflux reasonably regularly and a ranitidine always sorts me out. Never used them while cycling but also never noticed any side effects. I find them much better than regular antacids because rather than attempt to neutralise the excess acid, they stop you producing it in the first place. I've drunk on them too, so no problem in the pub.

No side effects from Ranitidine here, though I have had them from Omeprazole but I don't need to take it any more. It very much depends on you.

screenman

Legendary Member
You lot have just reminded me that I used to get acid almost daily when I was 4 stone heavier, I cannot now remember the last time I had it.

mrandmrspoves

Middle aged bald git.
If you read any medicine information sheet it will list a large number of potential side effects. Some of these may have been reported by only 1 or 2 people who took the medicine - but pharmacy companies work at reducing their liability if someone does develop side effects and work on the basis of listing anything that might occur.
Ranitidine/Zantac have been in use for a number of years and side effects are not very common.
Over the counter tablets are 75mg whereas a prescription would normally be 150mg possibly twice daily.
Zantac, being a brand name will cost you a lot more than a generic Ranitidine brand would (Guess how much you would pay for a pack of 12 x 75mg Ranitidine in Poundland?)
As in any health matter, it is best if you are unsure to check with your GP or a pharmacist before taking a new medicine. Apart from side effects it is also important to think about contra-indications (reasons why a specific medicine should not be given to an individual) and interactions (the possible effect that a medicine may have on a different medication also taken by the individual)

Last edited:
Top Bottom