Acquired a quadricycle.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

irw

Quadricyclist
Why all the talk of moped and wheelbarrow wheels?

Some 20" BMX wheels should be well up to the job (preferably with no dishing on the spokes)- this is what I've got on mine (after some trial and error!). Think about what BMX wheels are designed to withstand, and think about the sort of use your quad will be getting!

Night Train

Maker of Things
Your two SA hub gears may not give you 9 gears. If there are the same then there will only be 6 different ratios, the other three being duplicated.

Can you get BMX wheels with a disc brake hub?

You could get some made up I guess but they will need to be singlesided.

Maybe find out if Company of Cyclists (Mickle) still have some old dead KMXs. You could use the front wheels off one of them, plastic, 16" and disc braked. It is where I got the 'pile of scrap' that became the Ratrike.

OP
OP
B

Bigsharn

Veteran
Why all the talk of moped and wheelbarrow wheels?

Some 20" BMX wheels should be well up to the job (preferably with no dishing on the spokes)- this is what I've got on mine (after some trial and error!). Think about what BMX wheels are designed to withstand, and think about the sort of use your quad will be getting!

I want the lowest centre of gravity possible, then I can take corners at decent speed. The quad currently has wheelbarrow wheels with off-road tread (I have no idea where the tyres came from, however) and are the perfect width to not overturn taking a corner at 15mph. BMX wheels are all well and good, but they're far too big (diameter) and far too thin to still be stable... and there's no way to adjust camber on the steering (I'm guessing that's how recumbent makers get away with it), that's the main problem I have with using thinner wheels.

Your two SA hub gears may not give you 9 gears. If there are the same then there will only be 6 different ratios, the other three being duplicated.

Can you get BMX wheels with a disc brake hub?

You could get some made up I guess but they will need to be singlesided.

Maybe find out if Company of Cyclists (Mickle) still have some old dead KMXs. You could use the front wheels off one of them, plastic, 16" and disc braked. It is where I got the 'pile of scrap' that became the Ratrike.

I know, I worked it out last night and it's actually only a 6-speed. Actual ratios depend on which order I put them on (One's a 13t and one's a 16)

If someone told me that he had some dead KMXs lying about I'd have got in contact before getting the quad :sad:
I'll have a word because I could do with a boom with a hole in already :tongue: Cheers

Top Bottom