Acquired a quadricycle.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Oh! Oh! I saw you last week!

Didn't occur to me to check on here when I was driving Beryl the Yellow recycling truck round past Clifford's Tower - was it Monday or Wednesday afternoon? - and saw a chap pedalling like crazy in a four wheeled recumbent. I gawped out of the window, and I think you saw me looking and grinned? I meant to post what I'd seen, but it went out of my head, I forgot all about it.

Excellent! I reckon it'll make a great basis for a load carrying project - a bit Brox-like.

Arch

Married to Night Train
I may have to go and get an old road bike for donor parts XD

BikeRescue might be able to help. What sort of parts are you looking for? We do get dumped wrecked bikes at St Nicks, which we send to the Rescue, but if there was any bits I could pull off for you, in return for a small donation to St Nicks...

bedrock

Ok, it's a rental thing from Holland. She needs a touch up of paint and a larger front chainring (and a jockey wheel so the chain doesn't catch) soon for day to day use. (26-26t won't cut it for daily use in honesty).

I will be installing a permanent set of lights at a later date, and possibly a towbar (I bought her with the intention of turning her into an articulated cargo bike), though depending how she does on the first road test tomorrow I may even make her into a velomobile :smile:

I realise it'll be a lot of work before she's ready... But am I part of the club yet? :smile:

Quadricycle? Is that a new name for go-kart? Looks fun anyway.

As another poster said, I would ditch the fat wheels ASAP, but in doing so you'll also need new brakes.

OP
OP
B

Bigsharn

Veteran
I'd also look at fitting bike wheels and narrower tyres of you are going to ride far. The wheel barrow tyres will sap energy at an enormous rate.

In honesty I'm not sure that smaller wheels will fit on the axles... Or take the weight of it for that matter. I was discussing it with Arch earlier today and the steering isn't the most stable in the world (as I'm sure she'll attest to)

Arch said:
Oh! Oh! I saw you last week!

Didn't occur to me to check on here when I was driving Beryl the Yellow recycling truck round past Clifford's Tower - was it Monday or Wednesday afternoon? - and saw a chap pedalling like crazy in a four wheeled recumbent. I gawped out of the window, and I think you saw me looking and grinned? I meant to post what I'd seen, but it went out of my head, I forgot all about it.

Excellent! I reckon it'll make a great basis for a load carrying project - a bit Brox-like.

BikeRescue might be able to help. What sort of parts are you looking for? We do get dumped wrecked bikes at St Nicks, which we send to the Rescue, but if there was any bits I could pull off for you, in return for a small donation to St Nicks...

Oh, and where in the name of heck did you get it? :biggrin:

It clicked that you were in a little yellow buggy and that you looked familiar, hence the grin :smile: I actually have a trailer of sorts as well, I just don't use it day to day.

It'd be appreciated, I need to find someone with a welder to extend the legroom and fit me a downtube though, to change gears. Of course I'd donate a little something to St Nick's in return :tongue:

And the answer to that is Wigan. It's not the normal place that you'd think of for eccentric vehicles, but originally it was made in Holland (according to the stickers at least).

Quadricycle? Is that a new name for go-kart? Looks fun anyway.

A quadricycle is a four-wheeled cycle, a go-kart is a name for a 4-wheeled pedal toy... By the time I'm finished this will be a fair bit more than a toy :tongue:

Night Train

Maker of Things
I need to find someone with a welder to extend the legroom and fit me a downtube though, to change gears.
I can weld if you want, I have a farily large mig welder that should be up to working that heavy gauge tube, It manages 6mm plate so it might do!;)

Alternatively you could try oak for the deraileur post as I did on the Ratrike.
DSC01742.jpg

DSC01741.jpg

:biggrin:

Arch

Married to Night Train
It's certainly... interesting! I did fear for its safety braking down the slope, hence my ultra cautious descent!

I've been googling in Dutch. My hazarded guess at Oostkapelle meaning cheesehead is, sadly, far off the mark - it's a place, and translates as East Chapel. Gueze ( I think that's the word on the sticker?), is apparently a type of Belgian beer (maybe you need a few inside you before taking it out on the road...), but adding quadricycle to the search got me link among others, to a seaside resort... (mainly because they seem to refer to having both quadricycles and beer....)

So basically, I have no idea....

Brilliant to see it and meet you. I was only saying as we came round the corner that it was there that I'd seen you, and lo and behold, there it was!

OP
OP
B

Bigsharn

Veteran
I can weld if you want, I have a farily large mig welder that should be up to working that heavy gauge tube, It manages 6mm plate so it might do!;)

Alternatively you could try oak for the deraileur post as I did on the Ratrike.

:biggrin:

Thanks for the offer, but transport may be a problem. Mum took me to get the quad in the first place from Wigan. There's a place none-too far away that weld cracked bike frames for a small charge, so I'm planning on phoning him up and seeing what he can do as regards to modifications. I think I may get the front wheels moved forward as well while he's at it (again, if at all possible).

I could use oak, but on the other hand if I'm getting it lengthened to fit me properly, I mightaswell use a metal downtube and use a top tube and some square profile for lengthening her :tongue:

It's certainly... interesting! I did fear for its safety braking down the slope, hence my ultra cautious descent!

I've been googling in Dutch. My hazarded guess at Oostkapelle meaning cheesehead is, sadly, far off the mark - it's a place, and translates as East Chapel. Gueze ( I think that's the word on the sticker?), is apparently a type of Belgian beer (maybe you need a few inside you before taking it out on the road...), but adding quadricycle to the search got me link among others, to a seaside resort... (mainly because they seem to refer to having both quadricycles and beer....)

So basically, I have no idea....

Brilliant to see it and meet you. I was only saying as we came round the corner that it was there that I'd seen you, and lo and behold, there it was!

Your knowledge of Dutch is much better than mine so thanks for giving it a go :tongue:

And likewise, it's nice to meet someone that I've seen before but never *actually* been introduced to :tongue:

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
Looks a lot of fun but with that short wheelbase I think it will be lethal at speed.:biggrin:

markg0vbr

Über Member
Looks a lot of fun but with that short wheelbase I think it will be lethal at speed.:biggrin:

just needs a couple of them concrete blocks out of a old washing machine bolting under the seat to lower the c/g then a 24lb block of led just in-front of the crank to move it forward, it will be steady as a rock.;) and legs like Arnold Schwarzenegger.

this is what we need out and about, some one how looks slightly more extrinsic than me, this will reduce my eccentricity :whistle:
have a blast with it :thumbsup:

OP
OP
B

Bigsharn

Veteran
I've had an idea to gear it on the extreme cheap (and it'll work), but to do it I'll need to find an alternative braking system... Does anyone have any ideas on how to stop a wheelbarrow wheel without resorting to the BMX (jam your foot between the seat stays and tyre) approach? :tongue:

OP
OP
B

Bigsharn

Veteran
The plan (so far):

I have two three-speed sturmey archer hubs on the way, to create a 9 speed setup

The current brake lever will be cut up so that it no longer makes contact with anything else on the quad, and I will be using this as a differential (hence there being no braking system)

Rather than have larger front wheels to aid with stability, I'm thinking less weight at the back and more at the front, this should put more weight on the steering, making it a bit more stable. To do this I'll be replacing the current rear wheel with some from a moped.

This will affect the centre of gravity, so getting the seat made into a more recumbent setup (I slouch anyway for comfort), and putting a boom out front for the chainring solves the cramping problem and puts the centre of gravity closer to the front wheels.

And a hastily drawn diagram:
15sa0dc.jpg

Top Bottom