Across the alps - Austria

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RobinS

Veteran
Doing some initial research for next years tour, and am looking for good routes across the alps North to South and South to North in Austria. This summer we used the Via Claudia Augusta from Trento over the Reschen Pass into Austria, but for next year we want to go further east - ideally a route into North East Italy - Dolomites one way, and Slovenia for the other way (en-route to the Adriatic coast and Balkan states possibly as far as Albania).
Does anyone know of any published routes on the web, or personal knowledge of cycle friendly routes?

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
Off the top of my head, one of my recollections of travelling in Austria is the dearth of North to South routes through the mountains. At least two of the main roads have tunnel sections where you drive onto trains to cross the high ridges, and I've no idea whether they take bikes. From your post, I suspect you would much rather climb over the top anyway.

I also have another image burned into me of the Grossglockner Hochalpenstrasse road from Zell am See in the North to Heiligenblut at its Southern end, which is easily the most stunning and beautiful high alpine road I've ever driven (and I've been over dozens of them). It is an expensive toll road, and there is probably also a toll for bikes. However much it is, pay it. You won't regret it. (Though it's a beast of a climb, and only you know whether you could manage it).

OP
OP
RobinS

RobinS

Veteran
The Grossglockner Hochalpenstrasse looks spectacular, and could be a good route to take one way, if we can find another route further east for the other direction.
53km from a campsite in Zell am See to one over the top at Heiligenblut, including a 19km climb averaging 9%, with over 1600m of ascent would be a pretty tough day with full camping loads - though if there was somewhere else to stop in between it would be fine. Just need to find out when it opens to cycles, as currently only cars with winter tyres - opefully open by mid may.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
It might be worth you going onto the Transcontinental Race page in Facebook and asking.

The TCR has been over the alps several times. The guys may even have the gpx routes which they used.

This year they went from Belgium to Monte Grappa.

I also have another image burned into me of the Grossglockner Hochalpenstrasse road from Zell am See in the North to Heiligenblut at its Southern end, which is easily the most stunning and beautiful high alpine road I've ever driven (and I've been over dozens of them). It is an expensive toll road, and there is probably also a toll for bikes. ).
A toll for bikes?
A toll for pedestrians?
Not cheeking your post. Sounds interesting.

Top Bottom