Action Man R.I.P. - & it's all our fault...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
A range of realistic action figures based on the modern British armed forces was launched at RAF Northolt, produced by the toymaker Character Group.The toys fill a gap left by Action Man, discontinued by Hasbro three years ago, and ruined, according to Character Group boss Jon Diver, by the plague of political correctness. "He went from an iconic military figure and being very popular to an extreme cyclist and being very unpopular," he said.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2009/may/07/british-armed-forces-action-man

Arch

Married to Night Train
He also went to being a musclebound unrealistic body builder type, having originally been a rather nice looking normally shaped chap. (If you discount the lack of genitals).

BTW, you can now get Action Man remakes, from the original moulds, with original kit. £40 for a basic Action Man and one other set of kit. They do have the realistic hair, but I'm not sure they have the Eagle Eyes.

If I had £40, I'd get one for sheer nostalgia. Mine was great, even though he ended up with one foot, no hands, and paraplegic (the rubber band holding his hips firm perished). Besides the standard outfit, he had a wetsuit (probably why the hip thing perished) and Arctic ski outfit, various rifles/handguns/bazooka/camping gear, a horse, a Red Indian outfit (made by me) and pyjamas (thanks Mum!:biggrin:)

Arch said:
He also went to being a musclebound unrealistic body builder type, having originally been a rather nice looking normally shaped chap. (If you discount the lack of genitals).

BTW, you can now get Action Man remakes, from the original moulds, with original kit. £40 for a basic Action Man and one other set of kit. They do have the realistic hair, but I'm not sure they have the Eagle Eyes.

If I had £40, I'd get one for sheer nostalgia. Mine was great, even though he ended up with one foot, no hands, and paraplegic (the rubber band holding his hips firm perished). Besides the standard outfit, he had a wetsuit (probably why the hip thing perished) and Arctic ski outfit, various rifles/handguns/bazooka/camping gear, a horse, a Red Indian outfit (made by me) and pyjamas (thanks Mum!;))
But your a girl and girls didn't play with Action Man (at least they didn't when I was a lad) they had Barbie and Cindy and all their parafinalia, or am I missing something here.

Speicher

Vice Admiral
Arch said:
For real Action Man stuff, see here:

http://www.actionmanhq.co.uk/frameset/frameset.html

Go to Body Types, and click on the years in turn to see slightly disturbing dance effect!

Mine was a '77 vintage.

On the same page, there is "Geyper" man, click on that, what has he got between his legs. ;)

buggi

Bird Saviour
i remember that my Barbie doll had an affair behind Ken's back with my brother's Action Man...

Well you would wouldn't you... Ken had plastic hair, Action Man didn't. and Action Man had "eagle eyes" and grippy hands..

Ken didn't stand a chance.

(of course, the "affair" never really got past kissing because Action Man didn't have the right.... ahem... "equipment")

graham56

Guru
buggi said:
i remember that my Barbie doll had an affair behind Ken's back with my brother's Action Man...

Well you would wouldn't you... Ken had plastic hair, Action Man didn't. and Action Man had "eagle eyes" and grippy hands..

Ken didn't stand a chance.

(of course, the "affair" never really got past kissing because Action Man didn't have the right.... ahem... "equipment")

Thats why he was a squaddie.:tongue:;)

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
We had alot of Actionman stuff.
We had a 4X4 that shot out plastic missiles. I loved that. I once shot a missile out, which i aimed up-ish, and took the tip off my uncles fag and landed it in my dads lap.
No idea how i managed that.

I had the parachuting one aswell. I never got that to work right, and it was always tangled up and took ages to untangle. Then when i used it he just shot straight down to the ground.
I got a motorbike aswell and that just broke:sad: Stupid thing, it was Action Man, it should of been able to withstand some hard hits and jumping down stairs.

Top Bottom