Actors' accents

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Yellow Fang

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
Ewan McGregor is another one who's shocking at accents. Did anyone manage to guess he was trying to do an Northern Irish accent in that DaVinci Code sequel? He was trying to speak like Alec Guiness in the Star Wars I (or was it IV?). I just wondered what on Earth he was trying to sound like.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Stringer Bell was good in the Wire as a Yank

Crankarm

Guru
Andrew Sachs playing Manuel was good :smile:.

However the cast of Allo Allo had appalling French, German and English accents.

Leonardo di Caprio in Titanic was supposed to be from Ireland IIRC. I don't remember him having much of an Irish accent. I might be wrong though.

Brains

Legendary Member
Nothing, ever, beats Dick van Dyke, in Mary Poppins

Van Dyke's attempt at a cockney accent was cited as one of the worst film accents in a 2003 poll by Empire magazine.[7] Mary Poppins was nonetheless successful upon release and its enduring appeal has made it one of the most famous films in cinematic history. "Chim Chim Cher-ee", one of the songs that Van Dyke performed in Mary Poppins, won the Academy Award for Best Original Song for the Sherman Brothers, the film's songwriting duo

Norm

Crankarm said:
Andrew Sachs playing Manuel was good :ohmy:.

However the cast of Allo Allo had appalling French, German and English
Damn, need a new monitor now, this one has coffee dripping out of it. :laugh:

Dick van Dyke's 'mock Cockney' was meant to be a spoof, so I thought - just like the American robin that famously perched on a London house's windowsill. Not meant to be taken at all seriously!

As for Robin Hood - well my version (and Errol Flynn's) puts him way back in the 12th Century. In which case he certainly wouldn't have been speaking any recognizable form of English, Yorkshire or otherwise. Ever listened to an accurate rendering of Chaucer (who was more than a century later)? If there was a Robin, he probably spoke Anglo-Saxon. So the modern actor may as well portray him in any accent he likes...

Mark_Robson

Crankarm said:
However the cast of Allo Allo had appalling French, German and English accents.
Oh my god that's so funny. :laugh:
That's got to be sig material.

Arch

Married to Night Train
At the start of the Costner Robin Hood, Marion's brother, about to be beheaded by Moors, exhorts Robin to tell Marion he died a 'true born Englishman'. In a fairly broad Dublin accent. Liam, who played the part, was a very softly spoken Irishman, and a mate of mine briefly.

Gasman

Old enough to know better, too old to care!
Justin Theroux (Seamus O' Grady) in Charlie's Angels - Full Throttle had a truly appalling accent. I reckon it fell somewhere between Dublin, Belfast and the East End of Glasgow.

Foghat

Freight-train-groove-rider
Christopher Guest's and Michael McKean's English accents in Spinal Tap (guitarists Nigel Tufnel and David St Hubbins) are excellent. Harry Shearer's (bassist Derek Smalls) is abysmal, though.

Check Amy Walker out, too - an American who can do a top-notch English accent, not to mention quite a few more.

upsidedown

Waiting for the great leap forward
Mad Doug Biker said:
Besides, House had supposedly grown up in different parts of the world, so what do you expect, a perfect New Jersey Accent??

Like Oxford, for example ?

He sounds like my 10 year old putting on a generic American accent.

At least when he did the same accent for Stuart Little it was meant to be funny.

Top Bottom