Local accents

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Prompted by this
https://metro.co.uk/2023/10/31/engl...rown-bread-19749653/?ico=top-stories_home_top

anyone noticed any local accents that have gone
or ones that have changed dramatically??

Personally - I know that current "Scouse" accents are very different to some that my Dad used to know
Him and his mate (who lived in Swansea - and was even the Mayor at one point) grew up around Aintree/Bootle in Liverpool (ish) in the 1920/30s
Given the opportunity they could switch to an accent/ language that a lot of people couldn;t even understand
It was quite amazing that I was OK with it as long as I actually listened - by Mum couldn;t understand a word!!

and that was form fairly posh areas!

today's accents in Liverpool appear rougher in terms of some things but the deep accent the dialect words have all changed and the old ones are no longer understood mostly

OK OK OK - I'll say it

EDIT
p.s. locals down think I have an accent as I grew up on the Wirral (note ON the Wirral - not in!) and went to a posh school
people from lesser places do sometimes think I am from Liverpool!

calm down

Last edited:

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
The Scouse accent was doomed as soon as Terry as a name became less popular.

Dave7

Legendary Member
Prompted by this
https://metro.co.uk/2023/10/31/engl...rown-bread-19749653/?ico=top-stories_home_top

anyone noticed any local accents that have gone
or ones that have changed dramatically??

Personally - I know that current "Scouse" accents are very different to some that my Dad used to know
Him and his mate (who lived in Swansea - and was even the Mayor at one point) grew up around Aintree/Bootle in Liverpool (ish) in the 1920/30s
Given the opportunity they could switch to an accent/ language that a lot of people couldn;t even understand
It was quite amazing that I was OK with it as long as I actually listened - by Mum couldn;t understand a word!!

and that was form fairly posh areas!

today's accents in Liverpool appear rougher in terms of some things but the deep accent the dialect words have all changed and the old ones are no longer understood mostly

OK OK OK - I'll say it

EDIT
p.s. locals down think I have an accent as I grew up on the Wirral (note ON the Wirral - not in!) and went to a posh school
people from lesser places do sometimes think I am from Liverpool!

calm down

A posh school on the Wirral.
Caldy?
West Kirby?
I was dragged up in the real area of the Wirral......Seacombe.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I live about 5 miles from Blackburn and about 10 miles from Burnley xx( (only joking! :whistle:). I have a Blackburn accent due to location and maybe because my dad came from Blackburn. The Burnley accent is noticeably different to the Blackburn one. With Burnley being close to Yorkshire you'd think it'd have a bit of 'Yorkshire' in it, but it hasn't at all. 🤔

Why do people from Blackburn and Burnley speak differently?​

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/news/23851423.people-blackburn-burnley-speak-differently/

Last edited:

Drago

Legendary Member
I love switching into the islands accent and shetlandic patois when in the presence of some Glasgow residents. Most are lovely folks but a few need reminding who the real soft southerners are.

Having spent my formative years in the extreme North, teens in the south, and most of the rest in the middle, with a stint at public school thrown in for good measure, my natural accent is a fairly neutral one with a hint of received pronunciation, but I can flick between the accents to annoy folk as the situation demands,

Last edited:

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
I've started going to an art group locally. The elderly chap who runs it has a noticeable accent similar to the one I remember from my grandfather and others of a similar generation. Made me smile when I met him.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan

Growing up on a farm in rural Devon, this is what my accent should sound like. But it does not. I think the Devonian accent has all but died out because kids at school had the mickey taken out of them for sounding like a farmer, so there's much more of a generic southern accent amongst my generation; you could only tell we were from Devon if we said "bath". Weirdly though, Plymouth has its own accent that is still thriving and you can still here strong accents in the younger folk

yello

People can rarely pick my accent, which is cool 'cause I don't know where I'm from either. Vaguely 'English' but where? Suggestions of 'northern' or sometimes home counties. Someone once weirdly suggsted Rugby which made me chuckle because I've never even visited there. The eagle earred will pick up southern vowel sounds - very southern, antipodean even. My accent changes (as is normal) according to who I'm speaking with. I'm a tart mutt betrayed by how I speak!

That adaptability helps me get by in French.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
There is a distinctive Mull accent unlike any other Hebridean accent I have heard. Not many now speak it as they are being pushed out of their homeland by incomers from foreign parts.
It is a bit difficult to know how you speak yourself but I would describe my accent as educated West of Scotland.
In primary school in Maddison which was a mining village in central Scotland we spoke two distinct languages. Outside we spoke Broad Scots but this was belted out of us in the classroom where it had to be standard English.
Moving to Helensburgh a posh commuter town for Glasgow Broad Scots was unheard of but I still retain a lot of it for use when necessary.
Fake accents by actors or indeed anyone with no real knowledge annoy me.

Last edited:
OP
OP
E
There is a distinctive Mull accent unlike any other Hebridean accent I have heard. Not many now speak it as they are being pushed out of their homeland by incomers from foreign parts.
It is a bit difficult to know how you speak yourself but I would describe my accent as educated West of Scotland.
In primary school in Maddison which was a mining village in central Scotland we spoke two distinct languages. Outside we spoke Broad Scots but this was belted out of us in the classroom where it had to be standard English.
Moving to Helensburgh a posh commuter town for Glasgow Broad Scots was unheard of but I still retsin a lot of it for use when necessary.
Fake accents by actors or indeed anyone with no real knowledge annoy me.

Bit off topic but on the subject of Mull
We were on holiday in the summer - small boat thing - and there was a posh woman on board with a posh CHeshire accent
(know the bishop you know!!)
and she had been bird watching on the island on Fingal's cave
We were waint for the boat and talking about the birds, especially the seabirds on the rock in front of us,and she commented
"This is a great place for a shag"

Highlight of the holiday!

anyway - what was the topic???

Top Bottom