Local accents

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave7

Legendary Member
err -no

much posher than that

Seacombe???
and you survived!!
(mind you I did spend 8 years teaching in a school that was - at the start - probably far worse)

TBH I can't think of any areas "much posher". Give me a clue.

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
I don't have an accent, everyone else does. My wife is Dundonian -

"If eh fun a fleh in meh peh, wid ah ee ih? Eh. Eh e i' aw "

If I found a fly in my pie, would I eat it? Yes. I ate it all

winjim

Smash the cistern
My wife's a scouser but you wouldn't know it until you start bad mouthing Liverpool, then her accent suddenly becomes a lot more pronounced. I've got a sort of bastardised accent from living in Yorkshire too long, I really should reclaim my South-East roots, although growing up everyone thought I spoke posh.

Living in Sheffield, once you get your ear in you really can tell the difference between here and the surrounding towns.

Interestingly as we come from either side of the trap-bath split isogloss, one of our kids always pronounces it bath like her mum, while the other sometimes uses bath like me. That might change as he grows up and encounters more locals, who like their mother, are all wrong in this regard.

Drago

Legendary Member
Mrs D is a cov lass and speaks with quite a posh accent whike her dad and brother have quite strong Coventry accents. I once enquired with Mrs D why she speaks posh, like, and when she was younger one of her partners was abusive and used to deman her because of the way she spoke. The list of things I have to discuss with him through the medium of a wrist lock if ever we should meet is quite long.

figbat

Slippery scientist
I moved around a lot as a kid as a consequence of being a forces brat - Oxfordshire, Shropshire, Morayshire and West Germany were my childhood homes and schools. I don't believe I have any kind of regional accent other than a general "south", and I've never met anybody who can pin down a localisation for me based on how I talk.

However I believe I am quite switched on to accents and love working out where someone may be from. Unlike many I can easily tell Canadian from American, Australian from New Zealand for example (which is less about my ability and more about general ignorance) but I'm also pretty good with English accents.

My maternal ancestors are from the Wychwood forest area of West Oxfordshire and are a long string of farm labourers. As a consequence I was quite able to follow what Gerald from Clarkson's Farm was on about as my grandfather spoke in a similar way (although when he really got going, especially if he started chuckling as he spoke, most of the family got lost!).

Venod

Eh up
Most people from outside Yorkshire think we all talk the same, but it's a big county with a big variation, ie Barnsley v Yarm etc.

yello

Australian from New Zealand for example (which is less about my ability and more about general ignorance)

Depends on the accent of each I guess. Like everywhere, the accents changes regionally. I knew a girl from Nelson (NZ) and her accent was unlike any other NZ accent I'd heard before.

As a general rule though you're right. There are certain give away vowel sounds that distinguish the one from the other. 'Fish and chips' is the oft cited means of differentiating.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Most people from outside Yorkshire think we all talk the same, but it's a big county with a big variation, ie Barnsley v Yarm etc.

where I was born & raised on NY Moors you can go from farming country to fishing county (eg. Staithes - if you can find a local) within 5-10 miles and the accents are hugely different, as are those when you go a few more miles up the coast to Teesside where was traditional steel and dock workers.

PK99

Legendary Member
I live about 5 miles from Blackburn and about 10 miles from Burnley xx( (only joking! :whistle:). I have a Blackburn accent due to location and maybe because my dad came from Blackburn. The Burnley accent is noticeably different to the Blackburn one. With Burnley being close to Yorkshire you'd think it'd have a bit of 'Yorkshire' in it, but it hasn't at all. 🤔

Why do people from Blackburn and Burnley speak differently?​

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/news/23851423.people-blackburn-burnley-speak-differently/

I was dragged up not far away, in a little place called Clayton Green, halfway between Chorley and Preston (9 miles apart).
I went to school in Preston on the bus with kids from Chorley and several places en route. I could tell by their accent who came from Chorley, Whittle, Bamber Bridge or Walton-le-Dale. I doubt the same would be possible now. As much as anything because all the accents have been modified by immigrants from Manchester and Liverpool where they speak proper funny.

Top Bottom