Actually motivated for winter season again.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jagman.2003

Über Member
A couple of weeks ago I mentally had to accept that the warm dry weather would soon be changing.
The fast commutes & weekend blasts on dry roads may have to give way to damp, cautious & poorly lit excursions in the coming months. I know we are enjoying an Indian summer, but I am preparing myself for the switch over regularly forecast.

But for the second year running I have found myself getting motivated to the seasonal challenge.
  • It's been fun to review & refresh my winter wardrobe. Including lights & bike.
  • Instead of speedy rides I have started thinking about more exploration & steady hill climb options.
  • The idea of defying the elements & riding off into the misty landscape appeals to the social rebel in me.
  • The possibility of maintaining & further improving my fitness ready for next year has got me smiling.
  • Maybe the change in weather is a good thing to help me appreciate the better weather.
  • Great opportunity to apply rule no.5.
Disclaimer: Any reference to this statement may be ignored during the darkest & coldest parts of winter.

format

Über Member
I've decided I'll be riding fixed gear on a heavy bike all winter. My shiny bike will be put away til spring. Think I'll be doing 1 or 2 50/60km rides a week, just to keep some juice in the legs.

Last year I had 2 months off the bike and suffered big time getting back to it. Hoping this year I'll come back to the road bike with stronger legs!

simon.r

Person
I charged my lights and fettled my Winter bike last night.

A slow and steady 10 mile ride certainly made me realise how much difference the extra 10lbs or so weight makes! Still enjoyable though and it will make the occasional ride on my best bike (on those rare dry and sunny Winter days) seem even better:smile:

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
Me too. I had a 6 week break doing very little but have been back a few weeks.

I almost feel ready for long steady winter rides, refreshed maybe

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
Going up a slippery road is OK, just don't enjoy traversing or coming down again.

I like the early morning rides as the sun is coming up and everything's still and quiet... so many wintery Saturday mornings in Northumberland start off bright and clear, by the time I get home again people have begun to yawn their way downstairs and their days shuffle in.

BigAl68

Über Member
I have been doing the morning commute in the pitch black now for a month and my wardrobe is slowly changing. Now in 3/4 most mornings and arm warmers every morning. I have been picking up a few sets of winter bib tights and a nice merino jersey but have yet to have need for my winter boots apart from one very cold morning. I quiet enjoy winter riding as there are less people and I enjoy the change in the scenery.

Top Bottom