Adam Yates crushes the Barcelona Marathon

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
David Millar ran the NY marathon last weekend in 2.58 too.

Abraham Olano did a 2.39 in a marathon after retiring.

I think Jalabert and Vino are both doing Ironman racing now ?

OP
OP
Cathryn

Cathryn

Legendary Member
David Millar ran the NY marathon last weekend in 2.58 too.

Abraham Olano did a 2.39 in a marathon after retiring.

I think Jalabert and Vino are both doing Ironman racing now ?

Obviously they have excellent cardiovascular fitness and an athlete's lifestyle but the demands of running are very different in terms of muscular-skeletal systems. I'm really impressed.

Obviously they have excellent cardiovascular fitness and an athlete's lifestyle but the demands of running are very different in terms of muscular-skeletal systems. I'm really impressed.
Oh definitely. A lot of impact and different muscles.

It’s a good time but I managed a 3:15 without that much training. He’s a pro athlete who’s lighter smaller younger & much fitter than me. So he should get a sub 3.
Yup. The winner ran 2:06:01 - that's a massive difference!

Olano's 2:39 posted earlier seems more indicative of what a top endurance athlete would aspire to if they trained specifically for a year (say).

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I ran a Marathon once. Suffice it to say I took significantly longer than 3 hours. 3 hours in I was probably passing the time of day with the volunteers at a drinks station 10k or so from the end. With the really bad stuff yet to come. :laugh:

Tenkaykev

Guru
No, you got it about right. I've done under 2.30 once, 1991 (2.26). I did 2.46 and 2.36 in the preceding years. The funny thing is, those times would be considered very good now because standards have fallen. I struggled to get in the top 100 then but those pedestrian times would win you some marathons now (those with little in monetary prizes).
Yes, this, born too young. The trouble is all of the faster runners I competed against are ageing at the same rate so my only chance is to outlive the blighters 😉
One of the guys I know ran sub three marathons in five decades ( his 20’s 30’s 40’s 50’s and 60’s ) and only missed out on sub three in his 70’s by about eleven minutes or so !

T4tomo

Legendary Member
No, you got it about right. I've done under 2.30 once, 1991 (2.26). I did 2.46 and 2.36 in the preceding years. The funny thing is, those times would be considered very good now because standards have fallen. I struggled to get in the top 100 then but those pedestrian times would win you some marathons now (those with little in monetary prizes).
That is pretty darn impressive.
It is.
I have a mate who similar ran 2.40s I think in his "youth" but was never fast enough to get beyond county level. He retired early (from real life), trains pretty regularly and now in his early 50's is winning quite regularly on the age group triathlon circuit.

Top Bottom