Adapter for light on lowrider boss

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PpPete

Legendary Member
I've read of a few people mounting front lights on the front lowrider rack bosses. Thinking of doing the same as I want to use a bar bag, and I don't want to use a space bar type arrangement.

Obviously the brackets on some lights are such that they can be mounted direct with an M5 bolt, but for those that are not I'm thinking there should be an adapter - which would be a bit of handlebar diameter tube with a closed end and an M5 stud projecting out of it.

Does anyone know of such a beast ? If not I'll have to try and get a local machine shop to make me one (or maybe a dozen and try to sell them:smile:)

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
I use a long M5 bolt with two washers and a section of alu tube bought from a model shop. It's lasted a couple of years so far.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
porkypete said:
How did you fix the washers to the tube?

The washers and tube are just threaded in turn over the bolt. The tube is only around 10mm external diameter.

Edit: no it won't take a handlebar mount if that's what you need. For that, GregCollins's link looks useeful.

tyred

Legendary Member
A brush shaft is similar diameter to a handlebar so use a few inches of one with a long M5 bolt through the centre.

threefingerjoe

Über Member
I use a PVC pipe coupling and plug. Screw the plug into the coupling. Drill a hole through the center of the plug. Run lowrider bolt through the assembly from the inside, and simply screw it into the brazeon. OH! And put a star washer under the bolt head to keep it from loosening.

I just trimmed the bracket down to remove all the handlebar wrap gubbins, drilled a hole in the side of the bracket, got a long bolt from Screwfix and to space the bracket away enough to fit the light, I used a piece of steel tubing as a long thin washer. Serrated shakeproof washer each end of the spacer tube discourages movement.

OP
OP
PpPete

PpPete

Legendary Member
Well I thought I'd google around to see if the item in Greg's link any cheaper elsewhere.

Ended up at SJS looking at this.

WTF I hear you cry....

Well it turns out that plastic barrel around the bolt is very similar to handlebar diameter and I just happened to have something very similar to that in my box of long-redundant parts. Anyone remember those gruesome Ever-Ready lights with 2 x heavy D cells, with the lighting power of an anaemic glow-worm and the plastic case which self-destructed when they fell off the bracket? Why do I keep such crap?

Well on this occasion it paid-off: A few minutes with hacksaw & file, suitable bolts & few washers and I had two very serviceable front fork brackets. Not perhaps as long as the one in Greg's link, but adequate for a lockblock & Tesco 3 watt Cree, or the little Cateye Opticube.

frank9755

Cyclist
porkypete said:
Well I thought I'd google around to see if the item in Greg's link any cheaper elsewhere.

Ended up at SJS looking at this.

WTF I hear you cry....

Well it turns out that plastic barrel around the bolt is very similar to handlebar diameter and I just happened to have something very similar to that in my box of long-redundant parts. Anyone remember those gruesome Ever-Ready lights with 2 x heavy D cells, with the lighting power of an anaemic glow-worm and the plastic case which self-destructed when they fell off the bracket? Why do I keep such crap?

Well on this occasion it paid-off: A few minutes with hacksaw & file, suitable bolts & few washers and I had two very serviceable front fork brackets. Not perhaps as long as the one in Greg's link, but adequate for a lockblock & Tesco 3 watt Cree, or the little Cateye Opticube.

It just goes to show that a cyclist should never ever throw anything away! I had one of these until recently, but can't find it in the garage. Think I must have thrown it out as I considered it so unlikely to be ever used again. How wrong I was!

Top Bottom