Added two inches - WOW!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

NigC

..... On the saddle post!

I've guestimated my mileage since I sarted commutycling at around 2500 - 3000. But in all that time, I've never made any adjustment to the saddle or handlebar height. That was until this-morning.

Somewhere on here, I got the idea that a higher saddle might make a difference, so I raised it by a couple of inches to test it out. Apart from misjudging the attempt of getting on the bike :biggrin::blush: I was amazed at the difference it made. My knees (always a troublesome part of my body) felt a lot happier at not having to go as high as before and when tackling the two hills on the way home, I had no need to stand up to generate the power needed :biggrin:

I think I will lower it by a quarter or half an inch, but why oh why didn't I do this before? :smile:

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
You're a knees-out chav cyclist and ICMFP! :smile:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
2 inches at once is a bit too much..... but you might get away with it as you've done 3000 miles biking....

I have to have all my bikes within a couple of mm, and can't move any more than a couple of mm at a time. Did you do the get on bike near wall, in bear foot, crank at bottom, and if you can just touch the axel with your heal with a fully extended leg.... then this is a good starting point. If not and guessing...do this first.

OP
OP
N

NigC

fossyant said:
2 inches at once is a bit too much..... but you might get away with it as you've done 3000 miles biking....

I have to have all my bikes within a couple of mm, and can't move any more than a couple of mm at a time. Did you do the get on bike near wall, in bear foot, crank at bottom, and if you can just touch the axel with your heal with a fully extended leg.... then this is a good starting point. If not and guessing...do this first.

I think I've only just realised that it's been wrong all this time - you know how it goes:

• Me: "I want that bike"
  • Assistant: "OK - come back in a few days and it'll be made up"
  • Me: "OK, have lots of money"
  • Assistant: "Thanks"
  • A few days later.....
  • Assistant: "There you go - does the height look about right?"
  • Me: I stand next to bike and he takes a look "Looks OK to me"
  • Assistant: "Great, seeya"
  • Me: Bye
Maybe a little gneralised, but you get the point :smile:

So off I go and that's it.

I'll give your method a try now though, thanks :biggrin:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Heal to axel - You need to make sure you are straight and the bike is straight.. try both sides...it's a quick set up I use for the Manchester track hire bikes....

I spent a long time reading 'Bernard Hinault's Racing and Training techniques' which included bike set up in much detail.......(over 20 years ago) and lots of 'measuring' but the heal on pedal axel with a straight leg is a good starter, then adjust slightly until happy. Oh and having my LBS measure me up for my best bike 20 years ago..... still stick with the same positions.

Unfortunately, you won't be at the...'oh that doesn't feel right' stage as soon as you ride 20 feet..... but it will come..... take adjustments easy.

OP
OP
N

NigC

fossyant said:
Heal to axel - You need to make sure you are straight and the bike is straight.. try both sides...it's a quick set up I use for the Manchester track hire bikes....

I spent a long time reading 'Bernard Hinault's Racing and Training techniques' which included bike set up in much detail.......(over 20 years ago) and lots of 'measuring' but the heal on pedal axel with a straight leg is a good starter, then adjust slightly until happy. Oh and having my LBS measure me up for my best bike 20 years ago..... still stick with the same positions.

Unfortunately, you won't be at the...'oh that doesn't feel right' stage as soon as you ride 20 feet..... but it will come..... take adjustments easy.

Just taken a look based on this technique and it seems I could actually extend the height a little more :smile: So I've been waaaaaay out for some time :ohmy: But it's pretty close as it is now :angry: I'll leave it for a while, so I can adjust to the extra height, then take another look at it.

Thanks for the info :smile:

Tynan

Veteran
the right height feels a bit too bloody high when you first do it

after that you're always wonderig about a bit more height

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
My problem is wearing different shoes to cycle in ... winter boots have a thick sole on them... my little daps have practically no sole, and my sandals in between - I've worn all 3 in the last week. As the weather keeps changing I either change the saddle height on a daily basis or put up with the odd feeling of the saddle too high or low.

Jezston

Über Member
I feel like my seat could go a little higher, but any higher than it currently is and my feet don't reach the pedals ;)

I have slightly odd proportions. I'm six foot tall, but my inside leg is only 31".

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Jezston said:
I feel like my seat could go a little higher, but any higher than it currently is and my feet don't reach the pedals ;)

I have slightly odd proportions. I'm six foot tall, but my inside leg is only 31".

Well certainly different to mine at 5'6 (well 5 and a half), and a 31.5" inside leg:biggrin:

jimboalee

summerdays said:
My problem is wearing different shoes to cycle in ... winter boots have a thick sole on them... my little daps have practically no sole, and my sandals in between - I've worn all 3 in the last week. As the weather keeps changing I either change the saddle height on a daily basis or put up with the odd feeling of the saddle too high or low.

I admire your courage for saying this.

brokenbetty

Über Member
summerdays said:

You know what you need? 3 different bikes ;)

Top Bottom