addictions

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

smavter

Me being prone to addictions, i.e. smoking and drinking and, when i was younger,the occasional illegal substances is wondering what other cc members have experienced.

Now that i am a bit older and have quit smoking and drinking too much because i like feeling fit better, i do feel alot happier. However, last weekend i drank a bit too much during a social occasiion and felt like i needed to drink more and smoke cigarettes again. The next day i felt guilty, mainly because i was too hung over to get my bike ready for a ride and riding it for that matter.

I felt guilty all weekend long! I'm just wondering how other cc members cope with similiar situations. Are there any people out there with the same problem?

jay clock

Massive member
I train 7 days a week. That's my addiction. Offset by eating tons

Bayerd

Über Member
smavter said:
Me being prone to addictions, i.e. smoking and drinking and, when i was younger,the occasional illegal substances is wondering what other cc members have experienced.

Now that i am a bit older and have quit smoking and drinking too much because i like feeling fit better, i do feel alot happier. However, last weekend i drank a bit too much during a social occasiion and felt like i needed to drink more and smoke cigarettes again. The next day i felt guilty, mainly because i was too hung over to get my bike ready for a ride and riding it for that matter.

I felt guilty all weekend long! I'm just wondering how other cc members cope with similiar situations. Are there any people out there with the same problem?

On the drinking too much bit, I force myself out on the bike regardless of how bad I'm feeling and tend to find that after a few miles I've sweated a lot of it out of me. I also find that planning rides for the following mornings helps curb the booze enthusiasm just a bit the day before. I've also got an addictive personality and tend to be all or nothing with everything I do. Cycling is the current one, I've been back on a bike since August this year after 20 years off and ride more or less every day.

dudi

jay clock said:
I train 7 days a week. That's my addiction. Offset by eating tons

+1 to this - though i only train 6 days a week and only do that half heartedly.
but the eating tons bit--- yep if i wasn't a cyclist i'd be 20 stone easilly i reckon

Lisa21

Mooching.............
I have never smoked, hardly ever have a drink and have never touched drugs but I have an extremely addictive personality which is probably why I havent-I know if I started Id go ott.

My absolute passions in life are cycling and horses; Cycling for the fitness,to offset the huge amount of wrong foods that I eat(a lot of:blush:)and for the sheer buzz you get from a really good ride, and horses because they are amazing animals once you have that special bond.

They are my addictions. Oh, and cake:biggrin:

ACS

Legendary Member
Like Lisa21 I have never smoked, but I do like a drink. I do not drink to excess because I do not like being ill for the following day. Couple glasses of wine does nicely but never more.

I think I am addicted to the natural high (endorphin) that I get from exercise. I suffer from depression and PTSD, now managed by medication and I find the endorphin release helps me feel good about myself.
Positive, achievable goals promote a higher level of well being which not only benefits the individual but those around them as well. Truth wrapped up in a cliché perhaps but true nevertheless.

That said exercise levels have also to be managed as over-training is definitely counter-productive and can very quickly drag you down to a dark, lethargic place that can be exasperated by injuries.

beachcaster

FOOD.............and its hard to give up.
Dont drink much alcahol......and luckily have never smoked a cigarette in my life
mainly because as a kid I was always sent down to the local shop to buy them for my dad...seemed a waste of money.

Luckily this year I found cycling..............have lost a fair bit of weight
and Im taking a slightly different view on comfort eating.

Trouble is I do love all the wrong things
at least cycling is burning a lot of it up !!!!!

barry

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I smoked from the age of 15 to 21 when my son was born. Haven't touched a cig since.
Have tried most drugs known to man in my early adult years and beyond, not proud of the fact but the business I was/am in it was the norm. Used to be a very heavy drinker, I think mainly due to the fact my parents liked the pop. Used to guzzle up the remains of many a party 7 can. Met my wife, she said I was drinking too much so decided to cut back. I first cut out the lunch time drinking, then evenings during the week, then not at home at all. It has now got to the point where I only drink if I am out at a social get together, gig or at football (of which is usually the only time now I get plastered).
And of course I do like a pint or two on a bike ride as a few on here will testify.
I can now go weeks without a tipple quite easy. But boy, that first beer after not having a drink for a while is usually bloody glorious. Thought about giving up the booze altogether... but... nah....

slinky malinky

Addicted .....to cycling, can't drink alcohol (makes me very ill) so have not had any since Feb 2009 can't say I miss it either, I have this constant nagging to get on the bike, normally 6 times a week for about 40 min to an hour (longer if allowed) if I don't get to ride I get the blues, been like this for about a year, although always liked bikes I never was addicted as I am now regardless of weather I am out there, her in doors thinks I am mad but doesnt mind as she can see the good it has done me I've have never felt fitter.

jay clock said:
just in case you think I am only addicted to cycling, I swim three times a week and run three times too....

Treading water doesn't count! ;)

Not really an addiction, but I have phases of several weeks where I eat FAR too much chocolate, then can go months without the need to eat or buy any.

September and October were BIG chocolate months and November, hopefully, will be the easing-off month, although it hasn't started too promisingly.

It's only chocolate I have these cravings for, not other sweets or cakes, biscuits etc. ;)

Fiona N

Veteran
I may have an anti-addictive personality - if I think I'm getting too fond of something not healthy (curli-wurlies, nip of whisky before bedtime, watching 'Spiral'....) I just decide to stop before it gets to be a habit :biggrin:

Maybe lucky really since I'm sure friends would say I'm addicted to exercise, but I'm not. It's just that if I don't get out on the bike regularly, I'd be the size of an elephant since I'm one of the unfortunates for whom being in the same room as cake leads to weight-gain. And once you're out there on the bike, you may as well stay out for an hour of two (or three or more... :biggrin:)

Speck

Oldest Teenager In Town
Dayvo said:
Treading water doesn't count! :biggrin:

Not really an addiction, but I have phases of several weeks where I eat FAR too much chocolate, then can go months without the need to eat or buy any.

September and October were BIG chocolate months and November, hopefully, will be the easing-off month, although it hasn't started too promisingly.

It's only chocolate I have these cravings for, not other sweets or cakes, biscuits etc. :biggrin:

Chocolate turkey it is then:tongue:

http://www.lakechamplainchocolates....lates/Thanksgiving-Chocolate-Centerpiece.aspx

Top Bottom