addictions

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

trio25

Über Member
I'm another with an addictive personnality. At the moment the addiction is cycling and has been for a couple of years. Before that it was snowboarding. I am very aware of what I am like so stay away from drugs etc. For instance I learnt to crochet hats, I now have 100's!!!!

Alcohol I have to be careful with, I think I could easily get into bad habits. I don't go out on drinking nights as I am not good at stopping. But a pint or two after a night mountain bike ride works well for me!

Jane Smart

The Queen
I also have a very addictive personality. If I do something, I do it head on or not at all.

I no longer drink alcohol as I would rather be cycling, so it has been some time now since I had a drink, but don't miss it.

I have never smoked nor done drugs, but I have discovered chocolate and am loving it and still losing weight :laugh:

I am off out on my bike now for my "daily fix" of cycling

RabbitFood

i tend to find that with drinking im not botherd if i dont drink but when i have 1 i find it very hard not to have at least 2 more unless i have to be somewhere.

Cycling is my new addiction tho, for the past 12 months and of course Football always have been always will be

Smoking is the daddy of them all ... I smoked from age 34 to about ten days ago and am trying my best to knock it on the head properly this time. (Not helped when the chap who drives my lorry on days leaves his baccy and papers in the cab, as he did last night. I never gave in, though!) And I do like a drink: I'm not one of these who has to get drunk every time I go out, but it's a rare night for me when I don't have a beer or a glass of wine after work.

OP
OP
smavter

smavter

thanks guys, its really interesting to see how other people deal with it.

I have to say, cycling is my number one addiction too though. ive quit smoking again now and hoping to keep it that way.

ChrisKH

Guru
Forced myself to give up smoking when I was 16/17 and glad that I did. Don't like drinking (I'm like Ian; I drink at a function and at Xmas, and occasional one in summer or after a ride) and can't trust myself with anything illicit. I have a small 'problem' with prescription drugs (makes me sound like Michael Jackson, just poorer) but my consultant is aware and it's because alternatives just aren't available that work. The drug is addictive but it's just a case of being disciplined. Sounds more exciting than it is really.

Glow worm

Legendary Member
For me- and this will sound weird - my addiction is radios. I know- I'm a Geek. I own about 100 at least and there are several in every room. There's even one on the bike and one on the allotment in a plastic bag under the strawberries. The fault lies with an Irishman who in 1983 parked a ship 12 miles off Clacton and started broadcasting (Caroline- I never heard the 60s version) - I've been hooked ever since, although my seafaring heroes have been forced inland (for now at least).

I do like a beer or two as well but now I'm in my 40's I can't take so much anymore without head repercussions next day. I'm lucky never to have smoked though them roll ups smell lovely.

The Jogger

Legendary Member
I was the equivalent of a bottle a day man. On sept 11th just gone, I was twenty years of the drink. I use to smoke twenty a day fifteen years of that. Now it's running and cycling.

pubrunner

Legendary Member
beancounter said:
I think constantly buying bicycles is a form of addiction.

bc

Yes, the ONLY addiction that I have.

I believe that in some cases people use the word 'addiction' as an 'excuse' when perhaps they mean lack of self-discipline.

beancounter

pubrunner said:
I believe that in some cases people use the word 'addiction' as an 'excuse' when perhaps they mean lack of self-discipline.

Quite!

(beancounter stares lovingly at the Merckx LXM carbon frame awaiting build in the corner of his office)

(having just got off the phone to the LBS confirming Feb 2010 delivery of the Colnago C50 on order)

bc

Bandini

I do not have an addictive personality. I have given up smoking and other addictive things with little problem. But if I enjoy doing something, and the pleasure outweighs the pain (and I mean that in a wide sense: not just selfishly indulging - thinking about 'costs' to self and others over time etc.), I just get stuck in and enjoy it as much as I can.

"Everything in moderation, including moderation."

I think cycling is going top consume a lot of my time. Enjoyed it as a teen, but working abroad a lot, then having young kids etc etc has meant a long gap. Now I think it will be something I always do.

Top Bottom