addictions

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Interesting thread, this.

I don't have an addictive personality, but there have been times in my life when I have smoked and taken drugs compulsively. It was because I was compensating for a massive loss I had to endure, and it took quite a bit of counselling to come to terms with the loss. Now I have I don't tend to have any addictive behaviours.

My husband has a compulsive spending addiction and its not funny. He's had several thousand pounds of mine without my knowledge, serious debt problems and we've had to remortgage the house to get out of it - try getting a decent mortgage with bad debt. After 10 years of this, him concealing his problem and nearly losing his marriage he's finally seeking help from an addiction counsellor. Once again its an unresolved loss that is at the root of it. He's basically a good person who has a horrible affliction.

Sad thing is that if you're the partner of someone with a compulsive behaviour like this you are often driven to the end of your tether before anything changes. Then you have to dig even deeper while the person tries to recover. I cannot emphasise enough how hard this is. I have amazing friends and family who are helping and so I count myself lucky.

Willo

I seem to have quite an addicitve personality. For example, giving up smoking years ago was extremely difficult for me (but well worth the effort). These days, keeping fit has become a bit of an addiction which partly offsets my love for food and a few scoops of Guinness. Whilst I started to exercise to keep fit phyically, for me the obsession to do exercise a few times a week now comes from how good it makes me feel mentally; in particular, how much better I cope with stress. I can have the world on my shoulders thinking about another week in the office, but after a good cycle, run or whatever I'm ready to face anything.

Whilst anything has to be kept to sensible limits, by channelling an addictive tendency towards something like cycling is obviously a great counter for other temptations which take life down a not so healthy path.

After cycling or the gym every morning this week, I'm now off for a well earned steak and a pint (or 2!) of the dark stuff:biggrin:

Top Bottom