Adding a window to a garage advice !?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
sevenfourate

sevenfourate

Devotee of OCD
Left field thought - leave your money in the bank. It's not your forever home and I can't see a window adding any value to your house.

Great train of thought.

For not much money spent on a window - the enjoyment / quality gained with the time I spend in there can’t be measured though. ***Could be here a couple of years. But that alone doesn’t justify ‘thousands’ on a roof window imo. Few hundred on a window does….

There's a few types dehumidifiers. I think the desiccant based ones are not as efficient as the other main type. You can get very efficient ones nowadays that are like high efficiency led bulbs for electricity usage. Tanks can fill quickly initially and can be a PITA to pull out without sloshing water everywhere. Getting one with a drain is a good call.

They can also provide a little bit of heat too. That's why they're a good call for drying clothes indoors. Ours is 15 plus years old donated from relatives. We may get a new one shortly since they're got a lot better since ours was made. All energy reduction helps right?

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Thankyou very much @fossyant.

I’d did half heartedly / blindly look a while ago. Will have to look again now.

Something mounted main door end with an outlet to pipe outside: and straight into the gulley drain infront of same door sounds ideal. And will require no thought from me 👍

Only requires a small pipe, but I doubt you'd need to run it 24/7 (and would be costly). I'd suggest runnng it a 2/3 nights a week to keep any damp down, then just empty the container. I wasn't going to bother this year, but when the bikes, tools etc were dripping with the sudden change from minus 8 to plus 10, it soon clearer the moisture. Shouldn't need to be run when it's cold out, but best done when it's damp.

Jameshow

Veteran
A lintel will be required in/outer skin.

Either: Angle iron or a 14mm flat bar depending on the size of the window

Building Regs will definably be required unless you proceed without.

Does fensa cover alterations as well as like for like windows.

We had a window in our study replaced It was narrow and deep and went below desk level which was a pain so we had it modified to be wider and not as low.

Does fensa cover alterations as well as like for like windows.

We had a window in our study replaced It was narrow and deep and went below desk level which was a pain so we had it modified to be wider and not as low.

Fensa will cover if a window is taken out and replaced in the existing opening
So effectively Fitting of a Replacement frame/glazing of a new window.

Fensa wouldn't cover the Alteration work ie removing brickwork or adding lintel support.

The window company calls a building company to carry out the alteration work

I have a building company and often asked for window/patio door supports/Lintels Fitting etc.

Last edited:

Fastpedaller

Re changing to a pedestrian door etc... Would that be a whole can of worms needing pp etc as it would then be a 'living space'?
You could always do as a kit-car enthusiast showed in a magazine a few years ago - have a roof which lifts up along with the 4 post lift when the car is raised. Only joking, but seriously the guy did it, and it looked a great idea (though he confessed only for good-weather days).

fwiw - my Mother is having 1 kitchen window replaced by The Home Depot. it's been a long drawn out process & will cost her $3K. still no installation date ... ;-(

I expect it would be much more expensive to install one where there isn't already (if you pay someone else)

Last edited:

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
As you've stated it's not a forever home. If it were me, I'd not bother with a window at all. If you want more light, get some nice kitchen lights and you can buy "natural light" LED bulbs. 4.7watt are very bright. Spend the money you have saved on bikes/toys/curry

Gillstay

Über Member
I would go for a roof light as you will get so much more or even a small dome. Plus i would fit insulation on the back of your garage door to lessen the temp changes. Save wasting electricity on dehumidifiers.

Top Bottom