Adding a window to a garage advice !?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
sevenfourate

sevenfourate

Devotee of OCD
I'd be using the top and bottom of the back window to define the height... and how about two?

View attachment 673133

Twice the price, twice the light, not as clumpy looking as one big window or as out of place as a smaller odd sized window.

Holy Hellfire: I could grow Tomatoes in there come Summer šŸ˜‚

Seriously: thanks for the time taken for that. Another idea in the mix. For better or worse šŸ˜Ž

Our garage has a wide and low window maybe starting 500mm from the ceiling in the garage. It is perhaps as wide as a original mini. It let's in light quite nicely but the garage is 19ft long so half is still dark and we need to keep the door open and light on to see at the far end.

In your case you might not be able to have a wide window due to the structural pillar, but imho a wider window than a tall/ narrow window might offer better light and ventilation if possible. Even two smaller such windows might give a better light and ventilation effect.

Apologies if this is obvious, but how about replacing the garage door with a UPVC door and window?

You'd probably need planning permission BUT I reckon a house with a self-contained home office is more useful than a house with a garage almost no modern cars fit in, especially if you're in a place where Londoners are looking to relocate to work from home. Cars are all fat these days - Range Rovers look like Austin Maestros on steroids.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
All I'll say, is windows add a theft break in point. I've a door and a window on the side of the garage, and they are barred and bolted shut.

As for humidity/damp, mine was really bad after the cold snap, everything was sweatting as it warmed up, so the old dehumidifier was switched on. Ours is detatched with plenty of ventilation - I don't bother heating it.

OP
OP
sevenfourate

sevenfourate

Devotee of OCD
Apologies if this is obvious, but how about replacing the garage door with a UPVC door and window?

You'd probably need planning permission BUT I reckon a house with a self-contained home office is more useful than a house with a garage almost no modern cars fit in, especially if you're in a place where Londoners are looking to relocate to work from home. Cars are all fat these days - Range Rovers look like Austin Maestros on steroids.

Agree on cars have grown but garages havenā€™t ! If I was a bit brighter Iā€™d have bought somewhere with a double garage šŸ¤¦ā€ā™‚ļø

Iā€™m not quite with you thoughā€¦.

Bricking it in you mean. Id certainly be ā€˜committedā€™ then ! A UPVC personnel sized single door, double opening doors or ?

Although no car in the garage these days. I would like easy access for push-bikes. And of course the pictured but covered motorbikeā€¦.

Cheers.

OP
OP
sevenfourate

sevenfourate

Devotee of OCD
All I'll say, is windows add a theft break in point. I've a door and a window on the side of the garage, and they are barred and bolted shut.

As for humidity/damp, mine was really bad after the cold snap, everything was sweatting as it warmed up, so the old dehumidifier was switched on. Ours is detatched with plenty of ventilation - I don't bother heating it.

Mmmmmm. Personnel door is a new 5 latch UPVC frame / door affair. Garage is alarmed and on CCTV. Main up and over has additional locking security.

I could easily make an internally (?) fitted window-bar grille at work for any additional window.

Not sure any of that would make a blind bit of difference to a determined thief. Might deter an opportunist ?

Tell me about your dehumidifier ? Is it good ? How efficient / costly to run. Or negligible for its limited use ?

How about something along these lines? Photo chosen at random - you could of course have whatever combination you like and certainly not the fake stained glass. Lots of room for a motorbike with the right door, and better security as a nice bonus.
EDIT - re: condensation - this is going to be a problem in any bit of the house you don't heat (you insulate the door to the garage, don't you?). If I was choosing doors for your application in my space, I'd have a stable door for working in nice weather and vents front and back for bad weather. Or if I was wanting to be comfy all year round I'd insulate it properly and heat it with the house.

Attachments

• $_86-4221097305.jpeg
    $_86-4221097305.jpeg
    117.2 KB · Views: 2
OP
OP
sevenfourate

sevenfourate

Devotee of OCD
How about something along these lines? Photo chosen at random - you could of course have whatever combination you like and certainly not the fake stained glass. Lots of room for a motorbike with the right door, and better security as a nice bonus.

Liking the doorbell to let me know the food wifey has knocked up for the ā€˜workersā€™ is ready for collection šŸ¤£ Iā€™ll put it to herā€¦.

Yup. Yet another avenue to consider. Ta šŸ˜Ž

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Mmmmmm. Personnel door is a new 5 latch UPVC frame / door affair. Garage is alarmed and on CCTV. Main up and over has additional locking security.

I could easily make an internally (?) fitted window-bar grille at work for any additional window.

Not sure any of that would make a blind bit of difference to a determined thief. Might deter an opportunist ?

Tell me about your dehumidifier ? Is it good ? How efficient / costly to run. Or negligible for its limited use ?

We've got three dehumidifiers actually, by chance. The one in the garage was a screw fix one from many years ago - it uses about 200w - so 5 hours will cost 32p, around Ā£1.20 a day if on all the time. Our others have a timer. It runs until the tank fills. Our others do also have a drain that you could run out under the garage door, but it doesn't need running all the time - I may forget to empty it and it can be off for a few days. They do fill up quickly. This one can't be adjusted below 60% humidity, which is fine (someone borrowed it and it came back with only on and off working, so no adjustment or timer). That's fine for controlling the garage, as it was in the 80's after the cold snap. Only use it a few days a week.

The newer one is for drying washing in the house.

OP
OP
sevenfourate

sevenfourate

Devotee of OCD
Thankyou very much @fossyant.

Iā€™d did half heartedly / blindly look a while ago. Will have to look again now.

Something mounted main door end with an outlet to pipe outside: and straight into the gulley drain infront of same door sounds ideal. And will require no thought from me šŸ‘

Top Bottom