Adding a window to a garage advice !?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sevenfourate

Devotee of OCD
Morning all,

The Garage is no more. Long live the man cave 🤣

I’m thinking of adding a window for some more natural light. It would need to be installed to the left of the personnel door in picture 1 - between the door and the internal brick pillar: approx where the red tool boxes are currently. Both to catch the majority of the light - and the fact it’s not a fully free standing garage - due to half overlapping the house itself.

3C3F9393-EC9C-436B-BE91-E4673A5F6E5B.jpeg

Just spoken to my neighbour - who’s a window / conservatory / patio door blah blah guy (And has replaced various stuff very well for me previously) and he’s suggested a 450mm wide, small double glazed window with top opening and frosted glass [Only one other house could possibly see in this window - but clear might look like a front room window: irrespective…..🤔]

And he’s also said he wouldn’t think I’d need / to apply for planning permission: just whack a lintel in above and ‘slap it in’.

I’ve had a measure up and it would end up being positioned approx where I’ve deftly 😂 overlayed said new window on second picture.

2AFD21EF-B499-4CB6-8098-A8200B39C3C8.jpeg

Having never done such a task - any thoughts, advice or suggestions welcomed on any of the above 🙏

Ta.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
A couple of points;

• Re: planning permission. Ask your local council BEFORE doing anything. They may well ask a few questions then agree no official application is required. If so get it in writing, either a confirmation letter or copies of emails etc and keep them. Much easier this way when Mr & Mrs awkward new neighbour from 3 doors up start trying to cause trouble in a year or two!
  • Security. You are adding an additional entry point to your bike store, are you sure you want to do this?
  • Effectiveness. A small window where you suggest will give limited additional light and ventilation. It might be possible and more effective to install 1 or more Velux type roof windows if this is an option? Lots more light and ventilation on a hot day, but probably more expensive to install?
EDIT: With the roof windows you may find you hardly ever need to put the lights on except at night time.

As far as planning permission is concerned - bear in mind that, if you ever decide to sell the house (or your children do after you .....) then having that letter can help
Many years ago I was selling my first house and the 'lady' trying to buy it wanted every i dotted and every t crossed - and wanted to define the exact colour they were dotted and crossed in

WHole thing fell through when I 'failed' to get a recepit for a sewer repair because it was a whole area type sewer and was the responsibility of the water company - hence not receipt

If we had had the slightest alteration to anything she would have wanted details of the planning permission signed by Jesus and initialled by Moses

If you get one of that type then the more documentation the better - so getting a probably useless letter to confirm things can help a lot later on

OP
OP
sevenfourate

sevenfourate

Devotee of OCD
@I like Skol

Firstly; Thankyou very much for plenty to chew on. In the first instance I’ve taken a quick video of proposed window position and outlook to send to Council and seek their opinion. Might turn out to be not only sound advice. But very much a deciding factor depending on what it potentially then turns into…..

Secondly. This is certainly not a forever home. We’re over spaced: but Mortgage free and soon as last sprog finishes Uni - will be looking to downsize and free up capital for retirement. So the idea of the ‘cheap’ window was for 85% light / nicer feel in there while messing around. And 15% in the hope of some extra airflow. (Will expand on this shortly).

Whilst a roof window is a better idea for sure. The cost will unlikely increase value of house and the benefits won’t be gained by me for too long…..(?)

On the extra light issue [And the fact a roof window may negate needing any electrically powered lights at times in summer]: i today have installed two small vents in the garage door to aid airflow. Aside from whether they work or not the extra light from two tiny vents is amazing.
So to some degree I do wonder if the small proposed window will provide further ‘amazement’. Especially as the window will face the sun for a large portion of the day….

0D113268-66F8-4464-BDF7-9F919B490782.jpeg

07332D02-07E2-4253-B78F-873F4C545BB1.jpeg

The garage isn’t free standing. *See pics in original post and above. And the exposed parts are single skin. I’m pretty sure the garage is being insulated and kept warm when the outside is then colder. Because of its location - I also feel it’s quite stagnant in terms of wind directed at it. And that’s where the moisture stems from…..

So the vents added today [Placed high to provide weather protection from outside overhang and to be placed above the car that’s normal parked infront of garage on driveway], having an air brick or two fitted; along with ***a small openable window - were aimed at the light improvement - and 20% at helping or hopefully eradicating the minor condensation I do suffer at very cold times.

Is that logical in itself Ref air movement ?

To be honest the condensation issue is very minor. And very infrequent. Literally less than a handful of times a year at very low level / floor only - that soon clears. It’s gaining an amount of cheap light that’s primary. My window guy can supply and fit cheaply. And we’re CE1090 / Structural Steel supply accredited at my Engineering based work. So any lintel would be cost free. And backed up by correct paperwork.

Thoughts ongoing still welcomed 😎

Last edited:
OP
OP
sevenfourate

sevenfourate

Devotee of OCD
As far as planning permission is concerned - bear in mind that, if you ever decide to sell the house (or your children do after you .....) then having that letter can help
Many years ago I was selling my first house and the 'lady' trying to buy it wanted every i dotted and every t crossed - and wanted to define the exact colour they were dotted and crossed in

WHole thing fell through when I 'failed' to get a recepit for a sewer repair because it was a whole area type sewer and was the responsibility of the water company - hence not receipt

If we had had the slightest alteration to anything she would have wanted details of the planning permission signed by Jesus and initialled by Moses

If you get one of that type then the more documentation the better - so getting a probably useless letter to confirm things can help a lot later on

Thankyou.

Point taken on this - and as my last post: I’m on it !

OP
OP
sevenfourate

sevenfourate

Devotee of OCD
Consider a long, narrow window, high up. It frees up space for storage, prevents theft by fat bastards .

Garage is alarmed and on CCTV. We’ve had no trouble in 20 years. But I’d think if someone was going to come in - it would be from front / garage door - not around the back and smashing / coming through a 450mm small window.

Small / narrow was my thoughts too though 👍

PaulSB

Legendary Member
I can't comment on the practicalities, planning etc. but will ask a question. Have you considered the aesthetics? To me if the tiny window you've illustrated is to scale it looks all wrong. My reaction as a possible buyer would be "why on earth did someone put a window in there?"

Roof windows would probably give much better light and better aesthetics. I think what you're proposing detracts from the property and probably won't give much benefit.

OP
OP
sevenfourate

sevenfourate

Devotee of OCD
I can't comment on the practicalities, planning etc. but will ask a question. Have you considered the aesthetics? To me if the tiny window you've illustrated is to scale it looks all wrong. My reaction as a possible buyer would be "why on earth did someone put a window in there?"

Roof windows would probably give much better light and better aesthetics. I think what you're proposing detracts from the property and probably won't give much benefit.

Size is a hard one. Doesn’t want to look like a slit in a castle to fire arrows out of. On the other hand I’m not sure I want / it would look right; being the size of a front room window. Despite the space being there…

And I agree somewhat on potential ‘looks’. But as earlier reasonings - a dormer isn’t happening. So perhaps I do nothing and leave as is 🤷‍♂️

***Being on my phone / without having a clue how to properly project a window on my photo didn’t help I’m sure. Height would be more like this. And size wise: this as a minimum, or slightly wider….

Thanks for your thoughts. Valid. And good to hear it from others points of view…..👍

E5250D62-ED31-4463-8ED8-074009CDA710.jpeg

Jameshow

Veteran
If you window guy is decent he will be fensa registered so can fit it for you without building control needing to be involved.

I would go larger too say 900hx600w

OP
OP
sevenfourate

sevenfourate

Devotee of OCD
If you window guy is decent he will be fensa registered so can fit it for you without building control needing to be involved.

I would go larger too say 900hx600w

Interesting. Great info - and duly noted Thankyou.

My guy opposite is the owner. Of a long standing and very busy company. Be amazed if he wasn’t registered in that case: because I know he gets involved in all sorts of alterations - but he never offered up he was….!

I’ll somehow mock up a frame of your suggested size and see what I think. Bigger initially worried me. But I’m guessing frosted glass will help make it look like it’s a garage - and not part of the house 😳 Afraid I’m not great at visualising stuff like this….

Cheers for your thoughts 🙏

Gwylan

Veteran
Interesting. We've had humidity problems recently.
I'll nick the air vents idea.

What about a couple of courses of those glass bricks? Gets the light in and a couple of vented bricks would do the job.

OP
OP
sevenfourate

sevenfourate

Devotee of OCD
Interesting. We've had humidity problems recently.
I'll nick the air vents idea.

What about a couple of courses of those glass bricks? Gets the light in and a couple of vented bricks would do the job.

Sorry. Perhaps I used the wrong term. I think your humidity is likely better than my condensation 👍

Although louvres are ideally running the wrong way to have them forming a hood / by running horizontally: I was a little hampered by the vertical ridges in the door.

So they effectively went on 90 degrees turned, but up high to get the weather protection from the roof overhang.

Each Louvre I did by buying a plain louvred section for the outside. And a matching size slotted / vent closure for the inside.

Good luck !

Outside:
86CE57EE-4135-40FB-AB0C-151C53ED74E7.jpeg

Inside:
0A887277-7C5F-4D61-83F2-29DCFB064D65.jpeg

Inside - close up:
C0D2F3A2-FADD-4C61-8D23-63D3713A33A9.jpeg

Top Bottom