Adjusting a derailleur

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
My borrowed hybrid has a Shimano Tourney rear derailleur controlled by a Revoshift twist grip.

The shift is OK but has started to make a clicking noise now and again, so adjustment will be needed at some point.

I've found a Shimano technical bulletin online, but am struggling to follow it.

Can anyone help me with the function of the adjustment screws?

From what I can see, there are three.

One at the back of the derailleur, above where the cable goes in.

There are two more, next to each other, on the side of the derailleur.

If I can find out what they each do, I should be able to make a reasonable go at adjustment.

Thanks.

PpPete

Legendary Member
The two next to each other (probably labelled) H & L are the limit screws - which do just that. They limit the movement of the derailleur at the extremes.
Don't mess with them unless you are failing to get into highest or lowest gear.
The little knurled thingy around where the cable goes in is the cable tension adjuster. If things are not lining up correctly (often producing the clicking you describe) then this is the one to adjust, half a turn at a time. Usually you will want to turn it anti-clockwise.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
The 3 screws are, (the two next to each other) low and high limit screws i.e. limiting how far the mech can move sideways, and the third (on the back) is to set the spacing between the jockey wheel and the cassette to stop them hitting each other. The cable tension adjuster is where the cable goes in at Pete describes.

OP
OP
Pale Rider

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Looks like a bit more tension on the cable is what's required.

Like it - no tools needed and I can do it without my glasses.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
All covered it sounds like and i think you also have another barrel adjuster where the cable enters the shifters, i have just acquired the same shifter for my project.

Joe D

Veteran
Never underestimate the negative effect of poor movement of the inner cable through the outer. Get that moving smoothly and it's surprisingly easy to get the gears indexing correctly. If the inner cable is not moving right then you'll always struggle to get it right.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Never underestimate the negative effect of poor movement of the inner cable through the outer. Get that moving smoothly and it's surprisingly easy to get the gears indexing correctly. If the inner cable is not moving right then you'll always struggle to get it right.

This ^^
It's amazing at how bad shifting can get with even the slightest of bent or crud filled cable outers.

Top Bottom