Adjusting bmc timemachine integrated rear brake

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Simon_m

Guru
Hi there, not long had my TM and wanted to swap my road wheels with my race wheels where are more narrow. I have searched the net and not come up with much. It seems that if I want to put a narrow race wheel in, then I have to take apart the brake unit and add spacers. This can't be right can it? I certainly dont want to be faffing around each time I change the back wheel. Anyone done this? thanks

csm_Product_CloseUp_Small_771x480_MY16_rearbrake-2_4196a2663c.jpg

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Just adjust the cable - either at the clamp on the brake arm, or use an in-line adjuster. They are just v-brakes

Ajax Bay

Guru
Get a set of road wheels the same rim width as your 'race' wheels, or vice versa. Then no faffing. If you can afford a TM you can afford that.

Tim Hall

Would adversely affect the aerodynamics, even if it were possible, assuming TT set up and internal routing.
Not if he polishes the leading edge, and leaves the trailing edge rough. Trouble is the part that forms the leading edge changes with each twiddle of the adjuster.

OP
OP
Simon_m

Simon_m

Guru
Ah it's been busy since last on. I guess I will just have to go for a 25 rear race wheel then. Front wheel is a 23 and the only piece of my previous bike worth saving after been run over.

Where do the spacers go, surely on the blocks, so just a case of taking them off adding the spacer and putting back. I suppose it's a faff if you always need to change wheels. Other than that, as per Fossy suggested, take a bit more cable in. I can only see that being an issue if the brake arms need to be in the right position for optimum pull, which with something like that might be the case.

Well according to that manual you need to make sure the brake arms always go back to the stoppers which means you need to install the spacers even for pad wear. So in those circumstances, you'll need to get some spacers anyhow. Or change the blocks very frequently.

OP
OP
Simon_m

Simon_m

Guru
ah ok thanks, not had a good enough look at the set up yet or a good chance to test what the bike can do

Top Bottom