adjusting disc brakes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

scouserinlondon

So I'm a complete novice, and the brakes are pretty effing important. I have mechanical discs on a new ish Trek Valencia and the cables have stretched, I've had a pop at tightening them by simply adjusting the brake mechanism to the point where the pads aren't rubbing, but is it really that simple, or am I setting myself up for a crash?

Mr Pig

scouserinlondon said:
Is it really that simple?

More or less, yes. If everything is tight and they work then you're set.

arallsopp

Post of The Year 2009 winner
If the issue is cable stretch, I tend to address this by:
  • dialling any barrel adjusters so that the cable is as loose as possible
  • undoing the cable clamp on the brake that needs adjusting
  • pulling through a little more cable, whilst holding the brake mech partially on.
  • tightening the clamb back
  • releasing the brake mech. It'll pull up any slack as it returns to the normal rest position.

Takes about 20 seconds, and happens about a week after fitting new cables, then maybe once every thousand miles thereafter.

On the other hand, the pads get periodical adjustment when required with a torx screwdriver, if it looks like they're not sitting in the correct position relative to the pads. This happens about once every two thousand miles / three months (whatever comes sooner) or pretty much immediately if I remove the wheel for any reason.

Method varies between manufacturers / models, but for most there are two fairly large dials that'll bring the pads in / out on one, or both sides. The situation you want to avoid is where the disc is pushed laterally out of alignment before it gets clamped.

Top Bottom